Triple Berry Crisp
I love a good pie but I’m not ashamed to admit “good” pies do not come out of my kitchen. I’ve yet to master a tasty, flaky crust, even though sweetened and baked is my favorite way to eat fruit. I’ve mastered Apple Crisp though, a great fall dessert. This Triple Berry Crisp is Apple Crisp’s summer rendition featuring fresh summer berries, baked and served in a mini cast iron skillet and topped with whipped ricotta cheese flavored with vanilla and honey. It’s a recipe for two – because why should all the good recipes be saved for big gatherings? If you happen to have leftovers no one will judge you if they end up next to a big mug of coffee in the morning.
Triple Berry Crisp Instructions:
Swap out this combination of fruit as you like or with what’s in season where you live. I baked it in a small cast iron skillet which not only makes a great presentation but it’s a great size for dessert for two. If you don’t have one, use a small baking dish.
Give the strawberries a little chop so all of the berries are about the same size, then add them to a bowl along with the corn starch, sugar, lemon juice and zest. Gently blend it all together and spoon it into the skillet.
Next stir together the oats, brown sugar, flour, melted butter and a pinch of salt (the mixture will be crumbly). Spread the oat mixture on top of the berries (no worries if it isn’t perfectly even; it’ll still be delicious).
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil under the skillet for easy cleanup. Then bake at 375 ° for 35-40 minutes or until the topping is slightly golden brown.
Meanwhile, using a mixer whip the ricotta, honey and vanilla together until smooth, then refrigerate to chill. Let the Triple Berry Crisp cool for 10-15 minutes then top with dollop of honey ricotta whip or even vanilla ice cream.
Why stop at just one berry dessert? This easy Fruit Tart recipe makes a statement in flavor and presentation. Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup of blackberries
- 3/4 cup of blueberries
- 1 cup of strawberries
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon of corn starch
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
- 3/4 cup of old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 3 - tablespoons of flour
- 3 - tablespoons of melted butter
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup of ricotta cheese
- 3 - tablespoons of honey
- 1 - teaspoon of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut strawberries into bite size pieces and add to bowl along with blackberries, blueberries, corn starch, sugar lemon juice and zest stirring to combine.
- Spoon into a small, approximately 6" cast iron skillet or small, buttered baking dish.
- Mix oats, sugars, flour, melted butter and a pinch of salt (mixture will be crumbly).
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until slightly golden on top.
- While the Triple Berry Crisp is baking using a mixer and whip the ricotta, honey and vanilla together. Spoon a dollop on each serving.