20 Minute Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
My husband isn’t always on board new recipes. He likes a traditional meal the way he’s been eating it for years “(insert sigh). So when he asked what’s for dinner, I reluctantly told him Chicken Enchilada Soup in the way you may tell a toddler he has to get a shot because in his food world there are very specific rules: Chicken Soup should only have a clear broth and lots of noodles, carrots and celery. Enchiladas should only be filled with beef and ‘other stuff’, rolled up with sauce and cheese on top. I offered to make him a hamburger instead, but he soldiered up and ladled a bowl of this 20 Minute Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup. I watched astonished as he ate his soup along with a flour tortilla . . one bowl. . . and then another. He liked it.
The older I get, the longer and more involved my beauty routine gets. Not the make-up ~ I actually wear less now than ever – but all the different creams and lotions and potions – the ones promising magical results – take a lot of time! I really need to streamline the process ~ just like dinner prep sometimes needs to be streamlined and on those days, this 20 Minute Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup is just the kind of dinner I need.
If you have leftover chicken, this is a great recipe to use it up. We always seem to have leftovers these days, but a rotisserie chicken from any grocery store is ideal. My favorite rotisserie chicken is from Sam’s Club. They’re huge, a great price and you can’t beat the flavor. Anyway, shred about 2 cups of chicken using a couple of forks or your fingers.
Drizzle a bit of olive oil in whatever pot you make soup in. Drop in the onions and a bit of salt and pepper and let the onions cook over medium heat a couple of minutes until they’re soft.Sprinkle flour over the onions, lower the heat and mix everything together, cooking 1-2 minutes.
Next blend in the tomato paste, then the diced tomatoes. Pour in the chicken stock, about half a jar of salsa verde and the can of enchilada sauce, blending. Drain and rinse the black beans and corn and add them to the pot. Fold in the shredded chicken, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and the minced cilantro and let it simmer a couple of minutes, then last add the shredded cheese cooking over low heat until the cheese is melted and the soup hot. The fresh lime juice and cilantro give this 20 Minute Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup a bright, fresh flavor.
That’s it. Serve your 20 Minute Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup with flour tortillas, tortilla chips, sliced avocado or sour cream. You won’t believe how much flavor comes from so little time. Chicken Salsa Verde Dip will make great use of the other half of the jar of salsa verde too!
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 1 - medium onion, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 - tablespoons of tomato paste
- 3 - cups of chicken stock
- 1/2 jar of salsa verde
- 1 - 10 oz. can of enchilada sauce - medium or hot - whatever your preference
- 1 - 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 - 15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 - 14 oz. can of corn, drained
- 2 cups of shredded (rotisserie or leftover) chicken
- Juice from 1/2 of one lime
- 1/4 cup of cilantro, finely minced
- 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Drizzle about one tablespoon of olive oil in a soup pot.
- Add the chopped onions, season with salt and pepper and let the onions cook over medium heat a couple of minutes until they're soft.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions, lower the heat and mix them together, cooking 1-2 minutes.
- Blend in the tomato paste, then pour in the chicken stock, half of the jar of salsa verde, the can of enchilada sauce, and the diced tomatoes, combining.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and add them to the pot, along with the can of corn (also drained).
- Fold in the shredded chicken, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and the minced cilantro.
- Simmer 2-3 minutes then add the shredded cheese, blending until the cheese is melted.