Thanks for dropping by A Gouda Life. I’m glad you’re here. Pour a glass and let’s create something delicious!I’m Bernie, the woman behind the apron and creator of each of the recipes you’ll find here. I’m grateful every day for this blog and everyone who gives me an opportunity to live a dream I didn’t know I had.
a bit about me:
- When I’m not thinking about food, I’m creating recipes, testing and retesting them, photographing the finished product and when they’re just right – passing them along to you.
- I have a knack for making way too much food and give a lot of it away to family, friends and neighbors.
- have a bucket of places I want to travel to and taste my way through the journey.
- My kids are grown and on their own – I now have grandchildren! – that have my whole heart along with a quirky dog Ruby that is the chief food tester at A Gouda Life.
- I lost my husband in August of 2021 to a hard-fought battle with cancer. I’m typically a very private person, but it seems almost everyone has been touched by this awful disease. My family is no exception. He loved to cook for our family starting with a big Sunday breakfast plus the best deep fried, breaded lake perch you’ll find anywhere. His simple ground beef sliders with caramelized onions were also a family favorite.
- Click here for his perch recipe and here for everything you need to know to make these mouth-watering sliders.
WHAT KIND OF RECIPES DO YOU SHARE?
You’ll find recipes here that call for simple ingredients you can find at the local grocery store – simple ingredients. . .delicious results. Meals, appetizers, desserts – even some cocktails – quick and easy for weeknights but many are elevated enough to entertain with.
I like to include stories about the inspiration behind the recipes, but if you just want to start cooking, feel free to hit the ‘Jump to Recipe’ button – no judgement here.
How did a gouda life start?
A contest winning soup recipe, my life-long love of cooking and writing, family encouragement (“do it”!) and a complete disregard for my lack of tech skills lead me to start this blog.
I’ve been creating meals for my family and friends forever – that’s one way I show my love for them and I really enjoy seeing my daughters do the same. Food invokes memories as few other things can.
This blog is a place for my daughters to find recipes for some of their favorite foods. I hope you find some inspiration here, too.
What’s with the name?
A Gouda Life is a play on words – a good life and a nod to my favorite cheese and the 7-10 varieties of cheese found in my refrigerator on any given day. It’s my to-go afternoon snack and if there’s any truth that cheese contains calcium, then my bones should be like titanium.
a gouda life recipe Inspiration:
When my kids were growing up, dinners were noisy, chaotic and usually involved spilled beverages. Dinnertime was still an important time because it meant family time where we could share our day. Even though I didn’t know it at the time, it was the start of the inspiration.
Today, my daughters, niece and many of my closest friends who are staunch foodies and amazing home cooks inspire me. I wouldn’t be on this journey without them. I’ve also taken many cooking classes and watched cooking shows on TV like I was training for the Olympics.
Need a quick answer to a recipe question? Do you have a recipe suggestion? Feel free to contact me by email: email@example.com
Follow join me on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST. If you make one of my recipes share a photo on social media and be sure to tag me @agoudalife
Do we share a love of easy, tasty recipes? Subscribe ⇓ and get the latest recipes sent directly to your email box.