Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos ~ better than fried ~ spicy shredded chicken and cheese packed into corn or flour tortillas air fried until golden and crispy.
We eat a lot of Mexican food in our house but we’re creatures of habit, usually going with enchiladas or tacos until we stumbled on an out of the way, authentic Mexican restaurant in Florida and ~ gasp! ~ threw caution to the wind and ordered . . . Taquitos.
Beef, chicken, cheese ~ we devoured every last one with total abandon. I had them again recently at a wine stroll they served with a fruity Spanish wine. Maybe you’ve seen them on the menu as flautas. Deep fried and delicious but if you’ve been trained to think that’s the only way to flavortown, think again.
What’s the difference between a taquito and a flauta?
They’re a lot alike, but taquitos are usually made with corn tortillas; flautas with flour tortillas. Either way you roll ’em they’re really crazy good and easy to customize with your favorite fillings. Since these taquitos are air fried, they’re a healthier option without sacrificing taste one bit.
Air-fried gives you the golden brown, crispiness we crave in this kind of food. I also added a quick avocado crema I made in the blender with plain Greek yogurt, mashed avocado, a generous squeeze of lime, a pinch of salt, a splash of water and a little cilantro. Bring it.
Ready in under 20 minutes Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos are a tasty healthy meal or appetizer.
Air Fryer Chicken Taquito Ingredients:
- about 2 cups of slow cooker salsa chicken
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- one 4 ounce can green chilies
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded (or more to taste)
- 10 flour or corn tortillas (street taco or other small size)
- Cooking spray
How to make Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos:
Prepare the Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken. I highly recommend this recipe but if you’re in a pinch or happen to have leftover or rotisserie chicken that works as well. Just shred it and add a little jar salsa to the chicken for flavor.
Combine in a bowl the slow cooker salsa chicken (drained of its juices), softened cream cheese, green chilies and cheddar cheese then set it aside.
Next moisten a couple of paper towels (not soaking wet!) and place a 3-4 tortillas between them. Microwave 10-15 seconds (depending on the power of your microwave) to soften the tortillas for easier rolling.
Working with one tortilla at a time, place about 3 tablespoons of the chicken-cheese mixture closest to one end of the tortilla then roll tightly starting at the filled side pressing at the end to seal it. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Tip: If your taquitos aren’t staying closed, use a toothpick to seal while they air fry then remove when they’re finished.
Cooking the taquitos:
Preheat the air fryer to 400° for 3 minutes.
Lightly brush oil onto the rolled taquitos or use a light spritz of cooking spray then place 4-5 taquitos into the fryer leaving a small space between them. Cook 6-8 minutes or until they’re golden and crispy to your liking, turning halfway through the cooking time.
Top the taquitos with as many toppings as you like. For instance:
- more cheese!
- a dollop of plain Greek yogurt
- shredded lettuce
- fresh salsa
- diced tomatoes
- lime wedges for squeezing
- avocado crema (see how to make above)
I don’t own an air fryer (yet). Can I bake these taquitos instead?
Yes, you can also bake the taquitos but you won’t have the same crispiness as with the air fryer.
So what exactly is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is a small kitchen device that imitates the taste and crispiness of deep fried food using very little oil (about 1 teaspoon in this recipe) making it a healthier way to cook. If you like crispy, fried foods this device is for you.
Is the air fryer easy to clean?
Yes ~ the coating makes cleanup quick and easy with just soap and water. The manufacturer says it’s dishwasher safe but I wash it by hand like my cookware.
Air Fryer tips:
- Be sure to preheat the air fryer for maximum crispiness.
- Turn the food halfway through the cooking process so both sides are crispy and golden.
- Pat the food (such as potatoes, chicken, etc) dry so it crisps instead of steaming.
Top 5 things I love about my Air Fryer:
- Healthier cooking method.
- Cooks super fast!
- Imitates the crispiness of frying.
- Fantastic taste.
- Super simple cleanup.
Taquitos make an easy appetizer or meal and also happen to go well with a margarita any time of the year. Just sayin’.
If you tried this Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos recipe or any other on the blog then I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating in the recipe box!
- 2 cups slow cooker salsa chicken leftover or rotisserie chicken can be used. Add some jar salsa for flavor.
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 4 ounce can green chilies
- 10 flour tortillas small size
- olive oil or cooking spray
- Prepare Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken: https://www.agoudalife.com/salsa-chicken-slow-cooker/
- Combine in a bowl the slow cooker salsa chicken (drained of its juices), softened cream cheese, green chilies and cheddar cheese then set aside.
- Next moisten (not soaking wet!) a couple of paper towels and place a 3-4 tortillas between them. Microwave 10-15 seconds (depending on the power of your microwave) to soften the tortillas for easier rolling.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, place about 3 tablespoons of the chicken-cheese mixture closest to one end of the tortilla then roll tightly starting at the filled side. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Tip: If your taquitos aren’t staying closed, use a toothpick to seal while they air fry then remove when they’re finished.
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 400° for 3 minutes. Lightly brush oil onto the rolled taquitos or spritz with cooking spray then place 4-5 taquitos into the fryer leaving a small space between them. Cook 6-8 minutes or until they’re golden and crispy to your liking, turning halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve right away. Suggested toppings: extra cheese, sour cream or plain yogurt, shredded lettuce, salsa, a squeeze of lime or avocado crema (see body of post for how to make).