Easy Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese sandwich – perfect golden crispy bread, warm sliced ham, gooey melty cheese and a thin spread of fig jam – all under 10 minutes.
You guys – if you and your grilled ham and cheese sandwich aren’t jammin’, you need to start ASAP.
This sandwich has it all: golden buttery toasted bread, thinly sliced ham, melty cheese plus a thin layer of fig jam. It really is the best way to make a ham and cheese sandwich.
This Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese just may become your new favorite sandwich!
This sandwich is a great option for an easy and quick meal whether you’re using holiday ham or deli ham.
It’s a delicious sandwich from simple ingredients, reminiscent of childhood days . . . but ramped up.
WHAT KIND OF HAM IS BEST FOR A GRILLED HAM AND CHEESE?
If you don’t have leftover ham from the holidays, deli honey ham slices is what I use — but choose your favorite kind. For best results use thinly sliced ham.
WHAT TYPE OF CHEESE IS BEST FOR AN AIR FRYER HAM AND CHEESE?
To make this delicious air fryer grilled ham and cheese use a good melting cheese, such as:
- Swiss cheese
- American Cheese
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Monterey Jack
- Your favorite cheese
Today I used a combination of two kinds of cheese, Vermont Cheddar and Muenster.
WHAT KIND OF BREAD SHOULD I USE?
You can use pretty much any kind of bread in this sandwich:
- white bread
- sourdough bread
- whole wheat bread
- French bread
- Italian bread
WHAT’S IN AN AIR FRYER GRILLED HAM AND CHEESE SANDWICH?
- 2 slices of bread per sandwich
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 heaping teaspoon fig jam (can use other jam such as apricot or berry)
- thin-sliced ham
- slices of cheese
HOW TO MAKE AN EASY air fryer GRILLED HAM AND CHEESE:
- Air frying is an easy to way to make a grilled ham and cheese (or grilled cheese). The sandwich cooks to perfectly crispy in under 10 minutes.
- How many slices of ham and hceese you add is the way you like best.
Preheat the air fryer to 375° degrees.
Spread a little bit of butter evenly on one side of each slice of bread.
Top the unbuttered side of bread with 1-2 muenster cheese slices (enough to cover the bread) and several slices of ham.
Add a thin layer of fig jam to the unbuttered side of the top piece of bread then then top with 1-2 slices of cheddar cheese and the second slice of bread.
Transfer the assembled sandwich to the air fryer basket butter side down and cook 8 minutes total (or until a nice golden brown), turning the sandwich over halfway through.
NOTE: cooking time will vary with air fryers so watch the sandwich closely near the end of the cooking time.
Remove the sandwich from the air fryer, slice and enjoy with your favorite sides.
WHAT GOES WITH AN AIR FRYER GRILLED HAM AND CHEESE?
Easy no-cook sides like potato chips and pickles are always in order. If you’re looking for something a little heartier, see below:
Potato Salad – family recipe like Mom and Grandma used to make with hard boiled eggs, crispy bacon and real mayonnaise.
Tomato Soup – homemade tomato soup from canned tomatoes and fresh herbs in just 30 minutes.
Broccoli Cheese Soup – creamy soup, loaded with fresh broccoli and plenty of cheddar cheese. Another easy 30 minute soup.
French Fries – as far as easy air fryer recipes go, this one takes it. Crispy outside, fluffy potato inside.
If you tried this Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese recipe or any other recipe on the blog, then I hope you’ll leave a comment and star rating below!
Full details in the printable recipe card below.
Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese
- 2 slices bread per sandwich
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 heaping teaspoon fig jam can sub berry or apricot jam
- 1/3 pound deli or holiday ham thinly slices
- 1/3 pound sliced cheese
- Preheat the air fryer to 375° degrees.
- Spread butter evenly on one side of each slice of bread.
- Top the unbuttered side of bread with 1-2 cheese slices (enough to cover the bread) and several slices of ham.
- Add a thin layer of fig jam to the unbuttered side of the top piece of bread then then top with 1-2 more slices of and the second slice of bread.
- Place the assembled sandwich in the air fryer basket and cook 8 minutes total (or until golden and the cheese is melted, turning the sandwich over halfway through. Cook time will vary with air fryers.