Air Fryer Quesadillas make a quick and easy weeknight meal, snack or appetizer in 10 minutes! Crispy tortillas filled with melty cheese and any other favorites: chicken, beef, shrimp, roasted veggies, beans – even leftovers from the fridge.
Is anyone still gifting air fryers these days? Not sure, but if you got one for Christmas and it’s still boxed because you’re wondering where to start – or if you’ve had one for a while and need some recipe inspiration, this is it.
Whether it’s basic Air Fryer Cheese Quesadillas the kids love – to refried beans, seasoned beef, chicken or vegetables – everyone gets them just how they like.
Crispy tortilla outside, all the gooey melty cheese (+ our favorite fillings) we crave inside.
This a simple recipe (think Air Fryer 101) that’s easy to customize, with very little cleanup and one the whole family can get behind.
A quick lunch, after school snack or simple weeknight meal. There’s no wrong time.
The air fryer is a great way to make quesadillas. The hot air circulates crisping the tortilla while melting the cheese and warnming the fillings. The whole thing cooks in under 10 minutes.
WHAT’S THE BEST CHEESE FOR QUESADILLAS?
There’s no one best cheese. Again, this is a really versatile recipe so check your fridge and see what you already have on hand. You’ll want to use a good melty cheese, like Monterey Jack, Mexican cheese blend, Cheddar cheese, Mozzarella or Pepper Jack for an extra kick.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL NEEED TO MAKE AIR FRYER QUESADILLAS:
Below is what you’ll need for Air Fryer Chicken Quesadillas. You’ll want to adjust the filling amounts based upon the size of your tortillas and how many ingredients you’re using.
You don’t want to overstuff your quesadilla or the filling will ooze out when you cook it (speaking from experience!).
I used this recipe -> for Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken (and added sliced bell peppers and onions) and drained the excess liquid for these Chicken Quesadillas. Any cooked chicken and vegetables will work well in this recipe.
- tortillas – flour, corn, low carb – your choice – that will fit in your air fryer. I used 6″ fajita size.
- shredded cheese (see above for cheese suggestions)
- shredded chicken
- sliced, cooked bell peppers and onions
- cooking spray
HOW TO MAKE QUESADILLAS IN THE AIR FRYER:
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
Wrap the tortillas in a paper towel then microwave for 10 seconds to make them pliable and easier to fold.
Place the tortillas on a cutting board or other flat surface and gather your fillings.
Sprinkle a small handful of shredded cheese over half of the tortilla. Divide the chicken between the tortillas then top with vegetables and another light sprinkle of cheese. Fold to form a half moon shape.
Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray then carefully add the quesadilla to the basket. Lightly spray the top of the quesadaillas (or brush with olive oil or vegetable oil).
NOTE: this is the metal rack that came with my air fryer. I used it to hold down the quesadillas until the cheese melted. If you don’t have a metal rack, toothpicks can be inserted into the quesadilla or just pause in cooking to press down on the quesadilla if it lifts up.
Cook for 8 minutes or until the quesadillas are crispy perfection and the cheese melts, flipping them over halfway through the cooking process for even cispiness. Cooking time will vary with air fryers so watch closely.
BEST FILLINGS FOR QUESADILLAS?
One of the best things about this recipe is versaility. Of course, cheese is a must in a quesadilla (the best part in my opinion and main ingredient). From there you can fill your quesadilla with whatever your favorites are. Get creative – you can even repurpose leftover proteins you have in the fridge.
Here are just a few ideas:
- Rotisserie chicken
- Leftover chicken
- My favorite Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Roasted or sauteed vegetables (onions, bell peppers)
- Jalapeno peppers
- Banana peppers
- Seasoned ground beef
- Refried Beans
- Black beans
- Diced tomatoes
- Ham and cheese (yes – you can take quesadillas in any direction!)
- Pizza style with pepperoni and mozzarella (kids of all ages love this one!)
- Buffalo Chicken
- Dessert quesadilla with nutella and sliced bananas
WHAT TO SERVE WITH AIR FRYER QUESADILLAS:
The quesadillas are a complete meal but if you’d likd to add something here are some of my favorites:
Salsa – easy 5 minute restaurant style salsa made in the blender from canned tomatoes + a few spices. Incredibly delicious, loaded with bold flavor.
Guacamole – classic recipe with fresh avocado, lime juice, cilantro, red onion and jalapeno blended together for authentic Mexican flavor.
5 Ingredient Spanish Rice – aka Mexican Rice. Perfectly cooked rice loaded with delicious spicy flavor. The ultimate side dish to any Mexican entree.
Grapefruit Margarita – light, refreshing – a tangy sweet twist on the classic cocktail. Easy to make at home with fresh grapefruit and lime juice.
Sour Cream or plain Greek yogurt
LOOKING FOR OTHER EASY AIR FRYER RECIPES?
Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos – better than fried ~ spicy shredded chicken and cheese packed into corn or flour tortillas air fried until golden and crispy.
Crispy Air Fried Coconut Shrimp – like your favorite restaurant version but WITHOUT deep frying! Includes 2-ingredient dipping sauce. Tasty appetizer or entree.
Air Fryer Chicken Tenders – buttermilk air fried boneless chicken. Crispy outside, juicy inside cooks in under 15 minutes!
Crispy Air Fried Buffalo Cauliflower Bites – crispy outside, tender cauliflower inside and every bite delicious. Make this easy, healthy appetizer in minutes.
Of course, all of these recipes pair perfectly with Grapefruit Margaritas, a tropical twist on the classic cocktail and one of the most popular recipes on the blog!
If you tried this Air Fryer Quesadilla Recipe or any other on the blog then I hope you’ll leave a comment and some stars below!
Air Fryer Quesadillas
Air Fried Chicken Quesadillas (customize with your favorite ingredients or plain cheese)
- 2 flour or corn torillas 6" fajita size used (use any size that fits in your AF)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese Mexican blend, Monterey Jack, Chedddar or Pepper Jack work well.
- 1/2 cup cooked/shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup cooked bell peppers and onions or other fillings of your choosing
- cooking spray
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Wrap the tortillas in a paper towel then microwave for 10 seconds to make them pliable and easier to fold.
- Place the tortilla on a cutting board or other flat surface.
- Sprinkle a small handful of shredded cheese over half of the tortilla. Divide the chicken between the tortillas then top with vegetables and another light sprinkle of cheese. Fold to form a half moon shape.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray then carefully add the quesadillas to the basket. Lightly spray the top of the quesadaillas.
- I used the metal rack my AF came with to hold the quesadillas down until the cheese melted. If you don't have a metal rack, insert toothpicks into the quesadillas OR pause in cooking and press down with a spatula if they lift up.
- Cook for 8 minutes or until the quesadillas are crispy and the cheese is melted (flip halfway through cooking time for even crispiness). NOTE: cooking time will vary with air fryers.