Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers ~ this delicious, quick and easy weeknight dinner cooks completely in the air fryer in under 20 minutes! Enjoy the taste of grilled sausage and peppers all year.
If you’re still on the fence about buying an air fryer this just may be the recipe to tip the scale. I get it – not everyone is into Buffalo Cauliflower or even Fried Pickles (say it’s not so!) but who can resist Italian Sausage, onions and bright colored peppers?
I for one cannot. They’re on rotation grilled in the summertime but until now we’ve avoided making them in the wintertime.
Air frying mimics the outrageously good taste of grilled, cooking completely in the air fryer with super simple cleanup after.
In under 20 minutes (including prep) you’ll have perfectly browned Italian sausage and tender slices of onion and bell peppers. What you do with it from there is your choice.
You can serve it as-is for a tasty, low-carb, keto-friendly meal or load the sausage, onion and peppers into a crusty roll with a squeeze of mustard (my personal favorite way).
What do I need to make this recipe?
Besides an air fryer, the ingredient list doesn’t get much simpler: Italian Sausage, bell peppers, onions, about 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and a little salt and pepper for the vegetables.
How to cook Sausage and Peppers in the Air Fryer:
Preheat the air fryer to 400°.
Remove the seeds and stems from the bell peppers then cut the peppers and onions into thick slices (about 3/4″).
Add them to a bowl, drizzle with olive oil then season with salt and pepper and toss to coat and set aside.
Lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray then add to sausage.
Cook the sausage 10 minutes, turning halfway through then remove it from the basket. Add the seasoned onions and peppers to the air fryer and cook 4 minutes. Give the vegetables a little toss then return the sausage to the basket along with the onions and cook together 3 more minutes.
Remove your meal from the air fryer and serve right away.
Is it hard to clean the air fryer?
The nonstick coating on the makes cleanup quick and easy with just soap and water. The manufacturer says it’s dishwasher safe but I wash it by hand like my cookware. Spray the basket with hot water first. You’ll see a lot of the cooked on food wash right off.
Don’t use metal utensils or scrubby sponges or you’ll scratch the coating.
What to serve with Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers?
Because this meal screams summertime all year ’round to me, Potato Salad is a great side. My family loves it and I can even make it a day ahead. Another tasty option are these Roasted Ranch Potatoes from Mamagourmand.
If you tried this recipe or any other on the blog then I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating in the recipe box!
Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 links fresh Italian Sausage mild or spicy; may sub other varieties of fresh sausage
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 bell peppers any color
- 3 crusty rolls
- Remove the seeds and stems from the bell peppers then cut the peppers and onions into thick slices.
- Add the olive oil to the onions and peppers. Season with salt and pepper and gently toss to coat.
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 400 degrees for 3 minutes then lightly spray the basket with cooking spray (may also brush on olive oil instead).
- Add the sausage to the Air Fryer basket, cook 10 minutes turning after 5 minutes then remove the sausage from the basket. The sausage won't be completely cooked through at this point.
- Add the onions and peppers to the Air Fryer basket and cook 4 minutes. Gently turn the vegetables then return the sausage to the basket, nestling it between the onions and peppers. Continue cooking 3 more minutes then remove from the Air Fryer basket and serve right away.