Banoffee Pie Cups ~ bite size graham cracker cups filled with banana, thick rich caramel, whipped cream and crushed toffee candy bits. Just one and you’ll be hooked!
I had dinner at a local restaurant a few weeks ago and finished the meal with one of the best desserts I’ve ever eaten, Banoffee Pie. We practically devoured it.
In fact, I loved the dessert so much (let’s get real – I couldn’t stop thinking about it!) I went back to the same restaurant and ordered it again.
Not only are Banoffee Pie Cups so outrageously good they should come with a warning, but super easy to make too. I urge you – strongly – to get the ingredients and make what is sure to be the Thanksgiving dessert they’ll be talking about long after the holiday.
What is Banoffee Pie?
Banoffee Pie is an English dessert combining bananas and toffee (or caramel) in a graham cracker crust: bananas + toffee = banoffee. It’s topped with whipped cream and sometimes a drizzle of chocolate.
These bite size Banoffee Pie Cups have full size flavor and offer an opportunity for self control. Don’t ask how many of them I ate though. My lips are sealed.
In this miniature version, graham cracker cups are layered with diced bananas and dulce de leche, a thick rich caramel along with dollop of Cool Whip and a sprinkle of chocolate toffee bits. Come. To. Mama.
what’s in banoffee pie cups?
- graham cracker crumbs
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- room temp butter
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- canned dulce de leche (see photo above)
- cool whip topping (not Reddi Whip)
- heath English toffee baking bits (OR Heath candy bars crushed)
how to make banoffee pie cups:
Preheat the oven to 350° then lightly spray a 24-count mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
In a small bowl, whisk the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking soda and salt.
In a medium bowl using a hand mixer, cream the softened butter and both sugars together. Fold in the egg and vanilla until it’s combined then add the ‘dry’ ingredients to the ‘wet’ until it’s blended.
Using a 1 to 1 1/2″ scooper, form 24 balls dropping them into the prepared mini muffin tin then gently press down on the ball with your fingers or teaspoon size measuring spoon to form the cups.
Bake 9 minutes then remove from the oven. While the cups are still warm you’ll need to reform the puffed up cups using the same teaspoon measuring spoon or the round blunt end of another kitchen tool then let them cool completely.
Peel and dice the bananas into small, pea size pieces then add as many as will fit into each cup (3-5 depending on their size).
Using a butter knife ‘frost’ the cups with the caramel/dulce de leche letting some seep between the pieces of banana until you have a smooth rounded top (about 1 heaping teaspoon per cup – you won’t use all the dulce de leche).
NOTE: Reddi Whip (the aerosol in the can) isn’t recommended because it doesn’t hold its shape for long.
To pipe the Cool Whip you don’t need a fancy piping bag! I’ll show you my trick below or you can even just add a dollop of Cool Whip using a spoon.
Fill a gallon size zip top bag with Cool Whip then push any excess air out and seal the top. Cut the tip of one corner of the zip top bag with scissors then gently squeeze the Cool Whip out and onto the Banoffee Pie Cup in a circular motion.
Sprinkle on a pinch of the crushed Heath then transfer the cups to the refrigerator for at least an hour up to overnight.
can i make them ahead of time?
Yes! You can definitely make this recipe ahead of time. Truth be told, you can start eating them immediately after you’re finished making them (they’re hard to resist!) but they’re even better if you pop them in the fridge for an hour and better yet the next day!
how long will banoffee pie cups keep in the fridge?
Banoffee Pie Cups will keep fresh in the refrigerator up to 3 days but they’ll probably disappear long before that!
Looking for other mini desserts?
Mini Baklava Cups – mini phyllo cups loaded with nuts + a buttery honey-cinnamon blend. Authentic full size flavor with way less work!
S’Mores Cookie Cups – bite size graham cracker cups filled with toasted mini marshmallows and plenty of gooey Hershey’s chocolate.
Boozy Brownies – fudgy bite size brownies with salted caramel glaze ramped up with Jack Daniels whiskey.
Classic Cheesecake Bites – Nilla Wafer crust with a rich and creamy cheesecake filling topped with fresh fruit. Simple, no fail recipe!
If you tried this Banoffee Pie Cups recipe or any other on the blog then I hope you’ll leave a comment and some stars!
Banoffee Pie Cups
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened to room temp
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
The Filling and Topping:
- 2 large bananas
- 13.4 ounce dulce de leche can
- 8 ounce Cool Whip tub (not Reddi Whip)
- 8 ounce Heath English toffee baking bits OR 3 Heath candy bars crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350° then lightly spray a 24-count mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking soda and salt then set aside.
- In a medium bowl using a hand mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar then fold in the egg and vanilla. Blend the ‘dry’ ingredients with the ‘wet’.
- Using a 1 – 1 1/2″ scooper, form 24 balls dropping them into the prepared mini muffin tin> then gently press down on the ball with your fingers or teaspoon size measuring spoon to form the cups.
- Bake 9 minutes then remove from the oven. The cups puff in the baking process. To reform them use a teaspoon measuring spoon or round blunt end of another kitchen tool gently pressing down in the center. Cool completely.
- Peel and dice the bananas into small, slightly larger than pea size pieces then add as many as will fit into each cup.
- 'Frost' the top with the caramel/dulce de leche letting some of it seep between the pieces of banana until you have a smooth rounded top (about 1 teaspoon per cup – you won’t use all the dulce de leche).
- Pipe or dollop the Cool Whip (see body of post - no fancy piping bags needed!) then sprinkle crushed Heath toffee bits on top.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or up to overnight.