Barbecue Chicken Pizza
Nobody puts this Barbecue Chicken Pizza in a corner. Let’s get real here. It’s fall . . .football season . . . tailgating. . .the “Big Game” — did anyone else make Pulled Chicken or Pork this weekend? . . .I mean lots of it ~ translation. . .leftovers. Let’s convert, no let’s revolutionize that leftover Pulled Chicken or Pork into a whole new dish — Barbecue Chicken Pizza. Don’t throw out the Pulled Pork though because it would be great in this recipe too. In case you happen to be reading this wishing you had leftover Pulled Chicken, here’s a good recipe, straight from Rachael Ray’s Everyday magazine, Pulled Chicken.
This Barbecue Chicken Pizza is blink-and-you-almost-miss-it fast, making it ideal on those busy days which for many of us is any day ending in ‘Y’.
I made them on mini Naan bread but you can use the full size Naan too.
The cast of characters:
- Naan bread ~ 1 mini per person
- Smoked Gouda (my preference) OR Mozzarella cheese ~ about 1/4 cup per mini Naan ~ more if you like
- Pulled Chicken or Pork ~ about 1/4 cup per mini Naan
- One small size onion, caramelized ~ makes enough for 2-3 mini pizzas (see caramelizing instructions below)
- Extra barbecue sauce (optional)
- Cilantro ~finely minced, about 1/2 teaspoon per Naan.
Let’s not waste any more time!
Preheat the oven to 400°. Slice up one small onion. Melt about a tablespoon of butter and a small drizzle of olive oil into a skillet. Drop in the onion slices and cook until they’re caramelized. Brown color = oodles of flavor.
The assembly. . .
- Place the mini Naan bread(s) on a foil lined cookie sheet.
- Top with either shredded smoked Gouda OR mozzarella cheese.
- Grab your container of leftover pulled chicken (or pork) from the frig.
- Spread a healthy dose of it on top of the cheese.
- Next, a few of the caramelized onions you just made on top, cilantro and if you like, a bit more barbecue sauce.
Into the oven you go. . .
Bake 8-10 minutes –just until the edges are golden — barely enough time to set the table and pour yourself a glass of wine! You deserve not only that wine today but a big high five for this delicious meal. No one but us needs to know how effortless it was! Start to finish. . .in under 15 minutes.
Because I’m a giver. . .
and only because I’m a giver, I’m going to let you in on another little secret.