Best Cheeseburger Recipe – sink your teeth into a delicious, juicy burger served up with all your favorite toppings with this easy recipe!
As we’re waving goodbye to summer, let’s also say a not-so-fond farewell to dry, overcooked boring burgers.
A juicy, sink-your-teeth-into great burger is easy to make with my best tips you’ll find below.
It’s never too laste to make the best homemade cheeseburgers. Just a few simple ingredients (and the best cheeseburger recipe) and you’ll be on your way. This easy dinner is one the whole family can get behind.
BEST BEEF to use AND PRO TIPS:
- Buy 80/20 ground beef chuck for the juiciest burgers.
- Blend the extra ingredient you’ll find below into the meat.
- Don’t overwork the meat when you’re forming the patties.
- Salt after the patties are formed.
- Use a meat themometer for more accurate cooking.
WHAT KIND OF BUN IS BEST?
A good bun is important to the overall success of your burger. I recommend lightly toasting or grilling the hamburger buns but most important is making sure the size of the bun doesn’t overwhelm the burger.
Yes, size matters.
- Brioche buns
- Plain white buns
- Sesame seed buns
- Pretzel buns
- Potato bun
You get the picture. Jus like toppings (more below on that topic), there are lots of options. Choose the bun you like best and make sure it’s fresh.
WHAT’S IN THE BEST CHEESEBURGER?
Now I’ll admit – often times I get lazy and simply make the patty, season it with salt and pepper, grill it to medium with some melty cheese.
That makes a really good cheeseburger. But if you’re looking for a great burger – I’m talking next level – you’ll need the following ingredients:
- ground chuck
- cold hard butter
- salt and black pepper
- cheese slices
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CHEESEBURGER:
Using the largest side of a box grater, shred the butter then pop into the freezer.
Place the ground meat in a large bowl then add the grated butter and mix by hand (remember, don’t overmix the meat).
Using your hand, score the meat into four approximately equal sections and form each into a burger patty slightly larger than the buns you’re using to allow for shrinkage.
Using your thumb press into the center of each patty forming a dimple then season with salt and pepper to taste. I like coarse salt for burgers and steak, but use what you have on hand.
Cooking grilled burgers and stovetop burgers is similar. Preheat the grill (or large skillet) to medium/medium-high heat (about 400 degrees).
Place the hamburger patties on the preheated grill (or skillet) for 3-4 minutes. Flip the patties over and continue grilling another 3-4 minutes or until desired doneness.
About 2 minutes before the burgers are done, place the buns cut side down grilling until lightly toasted.
During the last minute of cooking, add a slice of cheese to the top of each burger then close the lid, finish grilling and let the cheese melt.
Remove from the grill, add your favorite toppings and serve right awy.
HOW DO I KNOW WHEN MY BURGER IS DONE?
The best way to know when meat is done is by using an instant read meat themometer. Even if you’ve made these burgers a couple of times, a thermometer is still helpful.
For a well done burger (which I don’t recommend), grill or cook the burger to an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
For medium well, 150-155 degrees, medium 140-145° (the best burger in my opinion), medium rare 130-135° and for a rare burger, 120-125°.
BEST CHEESEBURGER TOPPINGS:
Now that you have the best cheeseburger recipe down, let’s talk cheese. You definitely want a slice of cheese on each burger. American cheese, Cheddar cheese. Gouda cheese. You get the picture. Good melty cheese. Lay it on the top of that burger and let it do its thing.
The perfect burger topping is personal to each of us. Here are a few more suggestions to top your juicy cheeseburgers:
- sliced red onions
- sauteed yellow onions
- crispy bacon
- dill pickle
- bacon jam
WHAT to eat with CHEESEBURGERS:
Air Fryer French Fries – fresh potatoes hand cut, air fried to crisp outside, fluffy potato inside. Uses just one teaspoon of oil!
4 Ingredient Coleslaw – just 5 minutes to crunchy slaw with a delicious homemade creamy tangy-sweet dressing. The perfect side with burgers, barbecue and pulled pork.
Classic Potato Salad – old fashioned Potato Salad with potatoes, hard boiled eggs, crispy bacon and real mayonnaise – readers call it “amazing”!
You can also LIKE ME on FACEBOOK, FOLLOW along on TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST and SUBSCRIBE ⇓ for all the latest.
If you tried the Best Cheeseburger recipe or another recipe on the blog then I hope you’ll leave a comment and a bunch of stars below.
Questions about how to make a better burger? Leave it in the comments!
Best Cheeseburger Recipe
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 2 tablespoons cold hard butter shredded and frozen (see below)
- salt and pepper to taste
- cheese slices
- hamburger buns
- Your favorite toppings lettuce, tomato, bacon, onion
- Using the largest side of a box grater, shred the butter then pop into the freezer.
- Place the ground meat in a large bowl then add the grated butter and mix by hand (don’t overmix the meat).
- Using your hand, score the meat into four approximately equal sections and form each into a burger patty slightly larger than the buns you’re using.
- Use your thumb to press into the center of each patty forming a dimple. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the grill (or large skillet) to medium/medium-high heat (about 400 degrees).
- Place the hamburger patties on the preheated grill (or skillet) for 3-4 minutes. Flip the patties over and continue grilling another 3-4 minutes or until desired doneness.
- About 2 minutes before the burgers are done, place the buns cut side down grilling until lightly toasted.
- During the last minute of cooking, add a slice of cheese to the top of each burger then close the lid, finish grilling and let the cheese melt. Remove from the grill/skillet and serve right away with your favorite toppings.
Nice Recipe, Thanks for Sharing. I made this for my family. they liked it so much.
Thanks so much Aliza! I’m really glad your family enjoyed the recipe – and I appreciate you taking time to comment. – Bernie
This looks yummy. My hubby is a burger grill cooker. And….we both love cheeseburgers.
The picture makes me want to have one today!!
Thanks so much Bette! 🙂 I’ve had your hubby’s grilled burgers – they’re 5 star! xo