Best Rice Krispie Treats with the perfect ratio of cereal to marshmallow for the ultimate treat. Soft and gooey, no bake and irresistible – get your nostalgia on!
The Best Rice Krispie Treats are a nostalgic, no-bake classic dessert with just 4 simple ingredients. We devoured them as kids, made them for our own kids or because they’re incredibly easy to make – made them as kids.
Like the Starbucks Marshmallow Dream Bar (a fitting name) this version has not only melted marshmallow to bind the cereal, but whole mini marshmallows in almost every bite.
It’s not hard to make Rice Krispie Treats but the trick is making the BEST ones is the right cereal to marshmallow to butter ratio. When you get it right, you’ll know it because you won’t be able to stop eating them.
Rice Krispie Treats were first created in 1939 at the Kellogg home economics department as a fundraiser for Camp Fire Girls. They were later commercially made under the trademark “Rice Krispies Treats” name throughout the world.
what’s in the best rice krispie treats?
- salted butter
- bag of mini marshmallows
- vanilla extract
- Rice Krispies cereal
NOTE: You can use unsalted butter if that’s what you have on hand, but add 1/2 teaspoon of salt when you add the vanilla.
how to Make the best rice krispie treats:
Butter a 9×9 baking dish (or line with wax paper, aluminum foil or parchment paper) and set aside then reserve one cup of marshmallows.
Add the butter to a deep pot over low to medium-low heat. Once the butter melts, add the remaining marshmallows, reduce the heat to low and cook stirring often until the marshmallows are melted.
Remove the pot from the heat, add the vanilla and cereal stirring gently until it’s completely blended with the melted marshmallows then fold in the reserved marshmallows stirring just until combined.
Transfer the treats to the prepared baking dish gently pressing (don’t compact too tightly). Cool completely then cut into 9-12 squares.
best way to store rice krispie treats:
Store Rice Krispie Treats in an airtight container or zip top bag on the counter for 3-4 days.
are they gluten free?
No, Rice Krispies cereal is no longer gluten free but there are other brands of rice cereal (check out Aldi) that are GF and would work in this recipe. Just be sure to read the package.
- Use only fresh marshmallows – they’ll melt better.
- Melt the marshmallows over low to medium-low heat. Higher heat will result in dry, tough treats.
- Gently fold in the cereal with a rubber spatula without crushing it.
- This is a small-batch recipe making 9 generous squares but it can easily be doubled.
looking for more easy dessert recipes?
S’Mores Cookie Cups – bite size graham cracker cups filled with toasted mini marshmallows and Hershey’s chocolate. No campfire required!
No Bake Cheesecake Jars – graham cracker crust topped with creamy cheesecake and fresh fruit. Light, easy-to-make portable dessert served in Mason Jars!
Salted Caramel Boozy Brownies – bite size crown favorite! Box brownie mix ramped up with Jack Daniels and finished off with a salted caramel drizzle.
If you tried the Best Rice Krispies Treats recipe or any other on the blog then I hope you’ll leave a comment and some stars!
Best Rice Krispie Treat
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 10 ounce bag mini marshmallows divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 1/4 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Butter a 9×9 baking dish (or line with wax paper, aluminum foil or parchment paper) then set aside.
- Reserve one cup of marshmallows.Add the butter to a deep pot over low to medium-low heat. Once the butter melts, add the remaining marshmallows, reduce the heat to low and cook stirring often until the marshmallows are melted.
- Remove the pot from the heat, blend in the vanilla then add the Rice Krispies stirring gently with a rubber spatula until it’s completely blended with the melted marshmallows.
- Next add the reserved marshmallows stirring just until combined. Transfer the treats to the prepared baking dish gently pressing (don’t compact too tightly). Cool completely then cut into 9-12 squares.