Butter Chicken Recipe
Butter Chicken Recipe is creamy, loaded with authentic Indian flavor and simple to make all in one pan. Serve it up with a side of rice, a simple Chickpea Tomato Salad or just some warm naan bread.
What a surprise to hear about Anthony Bourdain’s death. Famed chef, world traveler, TV celebrity and master storyteller who told it like it was with phrases like “ass-burning Szechuan”. A man who seemed to have the world by the tail took his own life leaving much behind, starting with why.
Like many, I enjoyed watching him on TV explore food and places in the world I may never experience. He inspired a generation of foodies to travel and step out of their comfort zone like I did with this recipe, creating dishes that bring joy and love and transport them to places around the world.
That brings me to this Butter Chicken Recipe (you knew I’d get there; I always do) that I had for the first time at a yoga and dinner event. Butter Chicken, Indian style rice, Beef Curry, sliced cucumbers in Greek yogurt sauce, Curried Chickpeas with Potatoes and warm, lightly toasted Naan bread. Such a fun evening and my first delve into Indian food!
I had never even tasted curry, never cooked with spices like garam masala or turmeric so it felt a little foreign using my newly opened spices but I’m so glad I did. I hope this recipe inspires you to grab a glass of your favorite beverage, step out of your comfort zone and try something new in your own kitchen.
Whenever I create a recipe, I like to simply it and use everyday ingredients. Everything in this Butter Chicken Recipe was bought at my local grocery store. I’m also working on a Chicken Shawarma recipe I’ll share soon that you’ll be able to use the turmeric and some of the other spices in this dish.
Butter Chicken Recipe Ingredients:
- plain Greek yogurt
- lemon juice and zest
- garam masala
- ground turmeric
- ground cumin
- boneless chicken breasts cut in 1” cubes
NOTE: boneless thighs may also be used
- vegetable oil
- cayenne pepper
- cinnamon stick OR ground cinnamon
- fresh ginger OR ground ginger
- garam masala
- tomato paste
- can diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- heavy cream
- fresh flat leaf parsley
Whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice and zest, garam masala, turmeric and cumin then add the chicken coating it and marinate 2-4 hours up to overnight.
In a deep skillet or pot, add the oil over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add a few pieces of the chicken at a time without overcrowding, searing on both sides then remove. Work in batches until all the chicken pieces are seared. NOTE: the chicken won’t be fully cooked through at this point.
Reduce the heat to medium/medium-low then add the onion, cayenne, cinnamon stick and cumin cooking until the onions are tender, stirring frequently.
Grate in the garlic and ginger then fold in the remaining 1 teaspoon of garam masala and tomato paste and cook 1-2 minutes over low heat until you can smell the tomato paste.
Fold in the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, return the chicken to the sauce, turning to coat and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the heavy cream, butter and parsley, simmer 8-10 minutes then taste and adjust the salt and pepper as necessary. Serve hot over rice or with naan or pita bread. Note, the rice shown was made with chicken stock instead of water, some grated garlic and 1/2 teaspoon each of turmeric and garam masala.
If you make this Butter Chicken or any other recipe on the blog, remember to leave a comment or star rating~ I’d love to hear from you!
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Juice and zest from half of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts cut in 1” cubes
- NOTE: boneless thighs may also be used
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick OR ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger finely grated OR ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup fresh flat leaf parsley
- Whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice and zest, garam masala, turmeric and cumin then add the cubed chicken. Marinate 2-4 hours up to overnight.
- In a deep pan or pot, add the oil over medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot add a few pieces of the chicken without overcrowding the pan searing on both sides then remove, continuing to sear the chicken in batches. NOTE: the chicken won’t be fully cooked through at this point.
- Reduce the heat to medium/medium-low and add onion, cayenne, cinnamon stick and cumin cooking until the onions are tender, stirring frequently.
- Grate in the garlic and ginger then fold in the remaining 1 teaspoon of garam masala and tomato paste and cook 1-2 minutes over low heat until you begin to smell the tomato paste.
- Add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and once it’s combined, return the the chicken to the sauce, turning to coat it and cook for 5 minutes.
- Fold in the heavy cream, butter and parsley, simmering for 8-10 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and pepper. Serve hot over rice or with naan or pita bread.