Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting ~ easy Easter dessert recipe from scratch! Freshly grated carrots and applesauce make these cupcakes moist and delicious. Top with homemade cream cheese frosting and finely chopped pecans.
I’m not sure if it’s a blessing or a curse when you learn to make your favorite dessert at home. The only thing I can say about these Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting right now is that latest batch is gone. Completely and totally gone because I didn’t trust myself to have so many of them in the house.
I sent some home with my daughter and donated the rest to the YMCA. After my workout, the only thing left was an empty container and I haven’t gotten them off my mind since.
They’re cupcakes that act like a muffin (at least in my book) because they contain fresh carrots. That gives us license to have one with our morning coffee without judgement. Boom.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes are more than just a vessel for some really tasty homemade cream cheese frosting though they do a fine job of that, too. As always, the recipe is simple, straightforward and contains only grocery store ingredients.
They have just the right amount of sweetness that blends perfectly with the tangy homemade cream cheese frosting. Unsweetened applesauce adds moisture to the cupcake so less oil is needed. Another win ~ and a sprinkle of finely chopped pecans is a delicious nutty finish.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes Ingredients:
light brown sugar
finely shredded carrots
Cream cheese frosting:
finely chopped pecans (garnish)
Preheat the oven to 350°.
To shred the carrots, first remove the outer layer from the carrot with a vegetable peeler then using the finest holes on a box grater, shred the carrots.
Even if you aren’t a baker, this recipe is easy ad if you had home ec in school, it’ll take you back (without the acne and mean girls). What I’m saying is, blend the dry ingredients in one bowl, blend the wet ingredients in another, then combine the two. It’s that easy.
In a small bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon then set aside.
In a medium bowl blend by hand the vegetable oil, brown sugar, eggs, unsweetened applesauce, vanilla and grated carrots. Using a mixer will make the cupcake dense.
Gradually fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture just until it’s combined without overmixing.
Grease a muffin tin or line with papers then divide the batter about 2/3 of the way up each. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean then cool completely.
Combine the frosting ingredients using a hand mixer. It’s important the cream cheese and butter are room temperature.
Frost each cupcake with cream cheese frosting then sprinkle with the finely chopped pecans. Note: This recipe makes a generous amount of frosting and can be halved if you’ll be lightly frosting.
If you tried this Carrot Cake Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe or any other on the blog, I’d love a comment or star rating!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Dry cupcake ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Wet cupcake ingredients:
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 8 ounce brick cream cheese ~ room temp
- 1/2 stick butter ~ room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup plus finely chopped pecans for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Shredding the carrots:
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the outer layer from the carrot then using the finest holes on a box grater, shred the carrots.
- In a small bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon then set aside.
- In a medium bowl blend by hand the vegetable oil, brown sugar, eggs, unsweetened applesauce, vanilla and grated carrots. Using a mixer will make the cupcakes dense.
- Gradually fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture just until it’s combined without overmixing.
- Grease a muffin tin or line with papers then divide the batter between them about 2/3 of the way up each. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean then cool completely.
- Using a hand mixer, combine the frosting ingredients. It's important the butter and cream cheese are room temperature.
- This recipe makes a generous amount of frosting and can be halved if you prefer less. Frost each cupcake then sprinkle with finely chopped pecans.