Cheeseburger Sliders ~ mini ground beef patties topped with caramelized onions and gooey melted cheese. The ultimate dinner or party food!With the Big Game coming soon, you may have been all over Pinterest looking for that game-winning recipe. Let’s face it, while some are counting down to kickoff, others (me!) are checking out the food we’ll be eating!
Cheeseburger Sliders ~ mini burgers topped with caramelized onions and gooey melted cheese between two buns. They’re the ultimate party food but also the perfect weeknight dinner.
This recipe is my husband’s and it came from his love of sliders and a desire to eat them at home whenever he wants. It’s a game-winning recipe quick enough to enjoy anytime.
What is a slider?
The term ‘sliders’ was coined by the White Castle hamburger chain: a greasy burger that slid down easily. What they aren’t is a miniature version of a hamburger. This thin beef patty topped with sautéed onions, pickles, cheese stands in its own category.
These Cheeseburger Sliders are seasoned with just salt and pepper and cooked so that a light flavor crust is created on the outside and are steeped with rich beef and onion flavor.
What’s in Cheeseburger Sliders?
- ground chuck
- salt and pepper
- slider buns
- American Cheese
Optional toppings: dill pickle chips, ketchup and mustard
How to make Cheeseburger Sliders:
Thinly slice the onions (you want them almost paper thin) and set them aside.
Form the meat into equal size balls lightly packing so you don’t overwork the meat, then press into thin patties. You’ll get 6 sliders from one pound of ground meat. At this point, they’re larger than the slider buns but shrink when they’re cooked.
Melt about 1/2 tablespoon of butter over medium heat in a large skillet then add the patties and season with salt and pepper.
Place raw onions on top of each slider then gently press the onions down with a spatula.
Cook the sliders over medium heat 3-4 minutes or until the edges are beginning to brown then carefully turn them over so the onions are now on the bottom.
Place the bottom of the bun on top of the slider patty then add the top bun, cover with a lid. Continue cooking another couple of minutes until the sliders are cooked through.
Remove the slider from the skillet and add cheese between the buns. The warmth of the slider will melt the cheese, but no fancy cheeses here ~ American is just right for these classics.
Serve with pickles, ketchup and mustard and maybe a side of fries.
If you make this Cheeseburger Slider recipe then I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating in the recipe box!
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground chuck
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 package slider buns Pepperidge Farms preferred
- dill pickle chips
- ketchup and mustard
- American cheese
- Slice the onions as thin as possible (almost paper thin) and reserve.
- Form the meat into equal size balls (approx. 6 from one 16 ounce package) of ground chuck.
- Press the meatballs into thin slider patties. They'll be larger than the buns at this point, but expect shrinkage when they cook.
- Melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a larger skillet or griddle over medium heat then add the sliders and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the RAW onions on top of each slider then gently press them down into the meat with a spatula.
- Cook the slider over medium heat 3-4 minutes or until the edges are beginning to brown then carefully turn them over so the onions are on the bottom.
- Place the bottom of the bun on top of the slider patty then add the top bun, cover with a lid and continue cooking another couple of minutes until they're cooked through.
- Remove the slider from the skillet and if you're adding cheese, place a slice between the buns (the warmth of the slider will melt the cheese).