Cheesy Christmas Tree Bread – warm, buttery, garlicky pull apart bread loaded with melty cheese. Easy fun Christmas food and the perfect kick-off to the holiday season.
Irresistible warm, garlic-buttery pull-apart cheesy pizza in a Christmas tree shape and loaded with melty cheese.
Easy Christmas Tree bread filled with its cheesy goodness is a show-stopping party food or side dish the whole family will love.
Whether you’re hosting or attending a holiday party, this Cheesy Christmas Tree Bread recipe needs to make an appearance.
This quick, easy recipe starts with premade refrigerated pizza dough and a few other simple ingredients from the grocery store.
The dough is filled with mozzarella cheese, rolled into balls and formed like the shape of a Christmas tree.
Bake until golden brown then brush with garlicky melted butter and serve with marinara or pesto.
What’s in Cheesy Christmas Tree Bread?
- refrigerator pizza dough
- parchment paper
- mozzarella cheese sticks
- grated parmesan cheese
- grated garlic
- Marinara, pizza sauce and/or pesto for dipping
HOW TO MAKE THIS EASY CHRISTMAS TREE BREAD:
Preheat the oven to 400° then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Spread the pizza dough out on a lightly floured surface. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the dough into 30 squares.
Next cut the mozzarella cheese sticks into 30 bite size (1″) pieces and a piece of mozzarella to each square of dough.
Roll the dough to form a ball, pinching to seal the edges.
Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet seam side down in the tree shape (the balls should be lightly touching).
In a small bowl, whisk the egg and water together then lightly brush the tree with egg wash.
Bake 16-18 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, microwave the butter until melted then stir in half of the parmesan cheese and all of the grated garlic and herbs.
When the bread is finished baking, remove from the oven, brush on the herb garlic butter and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese.
What goes with christmas bread?
This bread makes a great appetizer and goes with practically everything as a side dish. Below are a few suggestions:
Baked Mostaccioli – easy, homemade ground beef sauce blanketed in three kinds of cheese baked to hot and bubbly perfection.
Braised Beef Ragu – tender shredded beef in a rich tomato sauce. Serve over your favorite pasta.
CAN I MAKE CHRISTMAS TREE BREAD AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! Thanks to a suggestion from a reader, Ann I tested freezing cheese filled dough balls ahead of time and it worked well. Be sure to freeze without egg wash.
- Roll cheese filled balls per recipe instructions then place the balls on a parchment paper lined baking sheet (do NOT add the egg wash yet)
- Cover the baking sheet with plastic wrap and transfer it to the freezer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until the dough is frozen. Place frozen balls in a zip top bag and store them in the freezer until you’re ready to bake. They take up less room this way.
- When you’re ready to make the Christmas Tree bread, remove the balls from the freezer and thaw on the counter about 45 minutes. After the dough balls are thawed, assemble the tree, brush with egg wash and continue with the recipe.
You can also make this recipe with frozen dough balls directly from the freezer.
- Assemble frozen dough balls on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, brush with egg wash and bake at 350° for about 20 minutes.
If you tried this Cheesy Christmas Tree Bread recipe or any other on the blog then I’d appreciate a comment and star rating!
Cheesy Christmas Tree Bread
- 13 ounce canned refrigerator pizza dough
- parchment paper for lining baking sheet
- 6-7 mozzarella cheese sticks
- 1 large egg + 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 jar marinara and/or pesto for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 400° then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the dough into 30 approximately equal squares then cut the mozzarella cheese sticks into 30 bite size (1 inch) pieces.
- Add a piece of mozzarella to each square of dough then form a ball, rolling with your hands to smooth and seal the edges.
- Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet seam side down in the shape of a tree (see photos) - so the balls are touching. Blend the egg and water in a small bowl and lightly brush each ball with the egg wash.
- Bake 16-18 minutes or until golden brown. While the bread is baking, microwave the butter until melted then stir in half of the parmesan cheese and all of the grated garlic and herbs. Brush onto the rolls, then sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese over the top then serve right away with marinara and/or pesto for dipping.