Chicken Alfredo Lasagna ~ layers of pasta, chicken, 2 kinds of cheese plus a creamy Alfredo sauce with spinach and mushrooms. This easy comfort food recipe can be made ahead of time and freezes well too!
Lately, I’m all over the place. Healthy food, comfort food ~ whatever you call in between. The last two posts were definitely in the healthy category – my favorite Green Smoothie and Buffalo Chicken Meatballs you can air fry or oven bake.
Today though it’s all about comfort. This week has felt like a month of Mondays – know what I mean? Let’s put on some stretchy pants, pour a nice glass of white and indulge.
This Chicken Alfredo Lasagna brings every ounce of comfort we could ever want or need. Layers of pasta, ricotta and freshly grated mozzarella and parmesan cheese, plus a creamy Alfredo sauce loaded with fresh spinach and mushrooms. I mean, come on!
This recipe is a combination of two of my favorites: Chicken Alfredo and Lasagna with a couple of time savers I’ll show you below that’ll get this dish on the table in a jiffy. Added bonus: you can make it ahead of time or even make and freeze for another day.
What’s in Chicken Alfredo Lasagna?
- olive oil
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic powder
- fresh mushrooms
- jar Alfredo sauce
- fresh spinach
- ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley
- box oven-ready lasagna noodles
- fresh thyme
- shredded Mozzarella (or Italian blend) cheese
How to make Chicken Alfredo Lasagna:
NOTE #1: The short cuts include a jar of Alfredo sauce and oven-ready (aka no-boil) lasagna noodles. It makes the recipe quick and easy, skipping the labor-intensive classic lasagna method.
NOTE #2: If you or your people don’t care for spinach and mushrooms, you can definitely leave them out, the spinach adds some nutritional value and the mushrooms give a little earthiness to the sauce.
First add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat then drop in bite size pieces of chicken and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Cook the chicken for 3 minutes then add the onions and mushrooms and continue cooking 3-4 minutes or until onions are soft and chicken is no longer pink inside, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to medium low then pour in the Alfredo sauce along with a small splash or milk, cream or water to get all the sauce out. Add the rough chopped spinach, cook 1 minute then remove from the heat.
In a small bowl blend the ricotta, parmesan and parsley then preheat the oven to 375°.
Butter an 8 x 8 baking dish then pour ½ cup of the chicken/sauce mixture into the bottom of the dish. Top with a layer of lasagna noodles overlapping them slightly then spread about ⅓ of the ricotta blend over the top. Top with about ⅓ of the chicken/sauce then about ⅓ of the mozzarella cheese.
Repeat for a total of four layers finishing with the remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil then bake for 25 minutes.
Remove the foil then continue baking 10-15 more minutes longer. If you like a browned top (like the photos) broil 1-3 minutes watching closely so it doesn’t burn. Let the lasagna rest 5-10 minutes then serve.
Can you freeze this Lasagna?
Yes! Chicken Alfredo Lasagna freezes well. It’s a great way to enjoy this dish any night of the week. For best results, freeze unbaked.
Assemble the lasagna in a freezer safe dish. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap then another layer of aluminum foil. This will keep out any freezer burn. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To bake the lasagna, thaw completely in the refrigerator (may take up to one full day). Remove the wrapping and bake according to the directions provided here.
Keeping with the lasagna theme, have you tried Lasagna Soup with 2 cooking methods? You can either load all the ingredients into the slow cooker or make it stove-top in just 30 minutes! It’s made with ground beef, a rich tomato broth with fresh mushrooms and spinach plus a dollop of mozzarella and ricotta cheese.
If you tried this Chicken Alfredo Lasagna recipe or any other on the blog then I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating!
Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in bite size pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 15 ounce jar Alfredo sauce
- 5 ounces fresh spinach chopped
- 15 ounces Ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 box oven ready lasagna noodles
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme finely chopped
- 8 ounces shredded Mozzarella cheese
- First add the olive oil to large skillet over medium heat then drop in the bite size pieces of chicken and season them with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Cook the chicken for 3 minutes then add the onions and mushrooms and continue cooking 3-4 minutes or until onions are softened and chicken is no longer pink inside, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium low then pour in the Alfredo sauce (tip: add a small splash of milk or water to get all the sauce out) then fold in the spinach, cook 1 minute and remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl blend the Ricotta, Parmesan and parsley then preheat the oven to 375°.
- Butter an 8 x 8 baking dish then pour ½ cup of the chicken/sauce mixture into the bottom of the dish. Top with a layer of lasagna noodles overlapping slightly then spread about ⅓ of the ricotta over the top. Top with about ⅓ of the chicken/sauce then add about ⅓ of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat for a total of four layers finishing with the remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil then bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking 10-15 more minutes longer. If you like a browned top (like the photos) broil 1-3 minutes watching it closely so it doesn’t burn. Let the lasagna rest 5-10 minutes then serve.