Chorizo Queso Dip
Chorizo Queso Dip ~ warm, velvety smooth Mexican cheese and chorizo dip includes tomatoes, fresh cilantro and a light squeeze of lime juice. Serve with warm tortilla chips.
In our family watching football on Thanksgiving Day is an endurance sport. That means that a ridiculous number of competitive-worthy appetizers are also needed like this Chorizo Queso Dip. Warm, creamy melted cheese, bites of spicy chorizo, tomatoes, fresh cilantro and a light squeeze of lime juice.
It makes the perfect vessel for warm, lightly salted tortilla chips. It’s not a first down. It’s a touchdown.
Does this dip have Velveeta cheese in it?
It does! If you’re a fan of Velveeta, you already know it’s ‘liquid gold’. I didn’t coin the phrase, but there’s really no better description.
I get it ~ some shy away from processed cheese – but you can’t get the smooth, silky texture of this Chorizo Queso Dip any other way.
You may have grown up on a version of the Velveeta-Rotel tomatoes-microwave dip. Chorizo Queso Dip is similar to that dip in the way that a bicycle and a fancy sports car are both transportation. Similar, but completely different.
Chorizo Queso Dip Ingredient:
- olive oil
- fresh chorizo casings removed
- Ro*Tel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- lime juice
- Velveeta cheese
- sharp cheddar cheese grated
- heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- chili powder
- fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat then add a drizzle of olive oil.
If you bought chorizo without casings, yay! My grocery store didn’t have it so I did the heavy lifting and removed them myself.
Any-hoo, add the sausage to the skillet breaking it up with a wooden spoon and brown it until it’s cooked through.
Next drain the excess fat (note: I also like to blot it with a couple of wadded up paper towels).
Set aside about a tablespoon of the cooked chorizo to garnish the top of the dip then fold in the canned tomatoes and their juices and lime juice. Give it a good stir then dot the top with the Velveeta.
Cook over medium-low heat about 5-7 minutes or until the Velveeta is melted and the dip is smooth then blend in the cheddar cheese, heavy cream, salt, chili powder and cumin and cook 2-3 minutes stirring frequently.
Sprinkle in the cilantro, then transfer the Chorizo Queso Dip to a serving bowl and top with the reserved chorizo and a bit of cilantro. Warm the tortilla chips in the microwave for a few seconds and serve right away.
If you tried this Chorizo Queso Dip recipe or any other on the blog I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating in the recipe box.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo casings removed
- 1 10 ounce can Ro*Tel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies undrained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- ½ Sharp Cheddar cheese grated
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped (optional: more for garnish)
- Tortilla chips
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat then add the olive oil.
- Remove the chorizo from its casings and drop it into the skillet. Cook until it's brown and cooked through, breaking it up with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Drain excess fat (optional: blot with paper towel) and reserve 1 tablespoon of the cooked chorizo for garnish.
- Fold in the tomatoes (including juices) and lime juice and once combined, dot the top with the Velveeta (shown) and cook over medium-low heat 5-7 minutes or until the Velveeta is melted and the dip is smooth.
- Blend in the Cheddar cheese then fold in the heavy cream, salt, chili powder and cumin, cooking another 2-3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Combine the cilantro, then transfer the dip to a serving bowl, top with garnish and serve right away with warm tortilla chips.
- Ruby Red Grapefruit Margaritas for a crowd or small batch ~ A Gouda Life - […] Grapefruit Margarita is the ideal beverage with any Mexican dish, like Chorizo Queso Dip an easy appetizer that causes…