Christmas Margaritas – just 4 ingredients in this delicious, festive cocktail served over ice in a salt-rimmed glass. Perfect for spreading a little holiday cheer!
A Traditional Margarita is one of my favorite drinks but this time of year, I’m looking for something a little more festive.
Enter: this 4-ingredient Christmas cocktail – sure to be a huge hit at any holiday party.
Cranberry juice, fresh lime juice, the right amount of tequila and triple sec (or Cointreau) poured over ice in a salt-rimmed glass.
Quick and easy made from scratch – way better than the bottled stuff.
If your holiday gatherings are like mine, they include tasty holiday cocktails.
A Christmas Margarita is a refreshing twist on the classic cocktail, ideal for a Christmas party or any gathering this holiday season.
what is a christmas margarita?
A Christmas Margarita blends ingredients of a classic margarita with the flavors of the season.
Good quality silver tequila, orange liqueur (more about that in a sec), fresh lime juice and a splash of cranberry juice for a lip-smacking good cocktail.
tips for the best christmas margaritas:
- Triple Sec or Cointreau can be used. Triple Sec is a budget friendly option, but if you feel like splurging go with Cointreau.
- Give the limes a good roll on the counter before slicing to release the most juice from them. Before slicing, firmly press the limes onto the counter with the palm of your hand rolling back and forth several times.
- Use a short glass as you see in the photos or a margarita glass. Either works well.
What’s in a christmas margarita?
Just a few simple ingredients – 4 to be exact – found in most grocery stores and you’ll be on your way to the perfect holiday cocktail.
- silver – blanco tequila
- cranberry juice (100% juice recommended) – or to taste
- triple sec
- whole limes
Optional/extras and garnish:
- coarse salt for rimming the glass
- fresh cranberries
- fresh rosemary
how to make christmas margaritas:
To make two margaritas add the tequila, triple sec (or cointreatu) and cranberry juice to a small pitcher or cocktail shaker.
Roll the limes (see above) then cut in half and juice two of them into the pitcher or cocktail shaker. Stir or shake to blend.
Run a lime wedge over the rim of each glass then pour the coarse salt onto a small shallow dish.
Dip the glasses into the salt gently pressing so the salt sticks to the rim.
Fill the glasses with ice being careful not to disturb the salt then pour the Christmas Margarita over the top. Garnish with rosemary sprigs and enjoy right away!
Garnishing the Christmas Margaritas:
The garnish you choose can be as simple or elaborate as you like. Have fun with it – it’s the holiday season after all.
- fresh cranberries or other fresh fruits
- sugared cranberries
- a sprig of rosemary
- mint leaves
- lime wedge
VARIATIONS TO THIS RECIPE:
- Cranberry juices gives this cocktails a good amount of sweetness, but if you like a sweeter cocktail just add simple syrup.
- Try Cointreau – another orange liqueur in place of triple sec.
- For a milder flavor with less tang, use white cranberry juice instead of red.
- Try pomegranate juice instead of cranberry juice, garnish with pomegrante seeds and a cinnamon sugar rim for each glass.
what to serve with christmas margaritas:
Here are a few of my favorite appetizers to serve with this cocktail:
Grape Jelly Meats – just 3 ingredients!
Christmas Puff Pastry Appetizer with pears and fig jam
Cheesy Sausage Wontons – the #1 appetizer on my site!
Charcuterie Board – easy, make ahead!
Cheesy Christmas Tree Bread – butter-garlic flavor
Do we share a love of easy, tasty recipes? LIKE ME on FACEBOOK, FOLLOW along on TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST and SUBSCRIBE ⇓ for all the latest.
If you tried this Christmas Margaritas recipe or any other on the blog then I hope you’ll leave a comment and some stars!
- 3 ounces silver tequila
- 8 ounces cranberry juice 100% juice recommended
- 2 ounces triple sec or cointreau
- 3 whole limes juice 2, 1 sliced to wedges
- ice cubes
- 1/4 cup coarse salt for rimming glasses
- fresh cranberries
- rosemary sprigs
- Add the tequila, triple sec (or cointreatu) and cranberry juice to a small pitcher or cocktail shaker.
- Roll the limes (see above), then cut them in half and juice two of them into the pitcher or cocktail shaker. Stir or shake to blend. Slice the remaining lime into wedges.
- To rim the glass, pour the salt onto a small shallow dish. Run a wedge of lime (from the remaining lime) around the edges of two glasses then dip the glasses into the salt gently pressing so the salt sticks to the rim.
- Fill the glasses with ice being careful not to disturb the salt then pour the Christmas Margarita into the glasses, garnish as you like and enjoy right away!
Leave a Reply