Christmas Muddy Buddies – Puppy Chow – easy, no bake holiday treat that’s always a hit!
Chocolate peanut butter coated Chex cereal dusted with powdered sugar and studded with holiday M&M’s makes the perfect holiday sweet snack.You may have already tried something like these Christmas Muddy Buddies by another name:
- Puppy Chow
- Christmas Puppy Chow
- Reindeer Chow
- Christmas Reindeer Chow
or even Christmas Crack – because it’s practically addictive! Once you start eating, you can’t stop!
This Christmas version of the classic snack mix is studded with red and green M&M’s – the ideal treat this time of year.
My family loves the classic Puppy Chow recipe.
This holiday version with bright red and green M&M’s is deliciously festive this Christmas season and a great addition to any holiday party.
Give this simple recipe a try – it may become one of your favorite Christmas treats!
What do I need to make Christmas Muddy Buddies?
- semisweet chocolate chips
- peanut butter (you’ll want to use creamy peanut butter)
- rice Chex cereal (if you prefer you can use corn Chex mix cereal)
- powdered sugar
- holiday (red/green) M&M’s
- cookie sheet
- parchment or wax paper
How to Make this Christmas puppy chow recipe:
Line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper then set aside.
Place the chocolate chips, cup of peanut butter and butter in a medium size microwave safe bowl.
Microwave on high for one minute (uncovered) to melt the chocolate chips then stir.
If needed, microwave another 30 seconds only until the chocolate peanut butter mixture is smooth and creamy then fold in the vanilla.
Add the cereal to a large mixing bowl then pour the chocolate peanut butter mixture over the top.
Gently stir to evenly coat the cereal being careful not to crush the cereal.
Transfer the coated cereal to a large Ziploc bag then sprinkle the powered sugar over the top.
Seal the bag and gently shake until the cereal is well coated.
Spread the mix onto the baking sheet then let it sit on then counter until it’s cool and the chocolate is set.
Add M&M’s, toss to coat then store until you’re ready to eat.
how to store christmas muddy buddies:
Cool the Muddy Buddies mix to room temperature then store in an airtight container on the counter up to one week.
Trust me – it won’t last that long!
Depending on the temp in your house, you may need to store in the fridge.
tips for making christmas muddy buddies:
- Use a microwave safe bowl to melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter.
- Heat only until the mixture is smooth. Don’t overheat.
- Christmas Muddy Buddies makes a great holiday gift. Add to decorative bags and tie with a ribbon.
variations to this recipe:
- Use white chocolate chips instead of semisweet.
- Substitute corn or even chocolate Chex cereal.
- Use plain, peanut or peanut butter M&M’s. You can even add mini peanut butter cups instead of M&M’s.
- Add candy hearts for a Valentine’s treat.
MORE SWEET TREATS:
Grinch Cookies – easy cookie recipe from CAKE MIX! Kids of all ages love these soft bright green cookies with a candy heart.
Snowball Christmas Cookies – buttery, nutty, melt-in-your-mouth cookies rolled in powdered sugar. This holiday classic is a must-make.
Cake Mix Sprinkle Cookies – another easy CAKE MIX cookie recipe with just 4 INGREDIENTS! Add red and green sprinkles for a festive holiday treat or customize for any holiday!
Delicious, festive and fun to make. I’ll be making some to kick off the holiday season. Set a batch of Holiday Puppy Chow out at your Christmas party and watch it disappear!
If you tried this Christmas Muddy Buddies recipe or any other on the blog then I hope you’ll leave a comment and a star rating below!
Christmas Muddy Buddies
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter creamy
- 1/4 cup butter sliced in pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups rice Chex cereal can use corn Chex
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups holiday M&M's (red/green)
- parchment or wax paper
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper then set aside.
- Place the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a medium size microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high one minute (uncovered) to melt the chocolate chips, then stir. If necessary return the bowl to the micro for another 30 seconds until smooth and creamy then fold in the vanilla. Don't overheat!
- Add the cereal to a large mixing bowl then pour the chocolate peanut butter mixture over the top. Gently stir to evenly coat the cereal being careful not to crush the cereal.
- Transfer the coated cereal to a into large Ziploc bag then sprinkle the powered sugar over the top. Seal the bag and gently shake until the cereal is well coated.
- Spread the mix onto the baking sheet then let it cool and set the chocolate. Add M&M's tossing to coat then store in an airtight container until you’re ready to eat.