Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings with a spicy buttermilk-ranch marinade are “oven fried” resulting in crispy skin, juicy meat and bursting with bold buffalo flavor.
Chicken wings are a staple in my house. This recipe involves a spicy buttermilk-ranch marinade then baked and finished under the broiler for that crispy skin we love, leaving only juicy meat inside.
These practically guilt-free wings make the ideal snack, easy weeknight meal or appetizer while you’re watching the game.
Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings are marinated from 30 minutes up to 5-6 hours, baked then a quick shot under the broiler to seal in that crispy skin.
The end result is just as the name says – CRISPY – and loaded with so much bold, delicious flavor I have to warn you ~ you won’t be able to stop eating them until the last bone is clean.
what’s in CRISPY BAKED BUFFALO WINGS?
- chicken wings
- buffalo sauce
- original ranch dry seasoning
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper (OPTIONAL for extra heat!)
- baking sheet
- wire rack
- aluminum foil
Lining the baking sheet with foil makes cleanup easy. The wire rack baking rack lets the wings cook all the way around and helps with crisping.
tips for the best crispy baked buffalo wings:
- The level of spiciness depends on the sauce you use. I like Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce, but if you have another favorite by all means use it.
- If your wings are jointed together, cut them apart separating drummies from flappers (wingettes) then throw away the tips.
- Don’t skip the broiler. You’ll miss all that crispy skin!
- Serve the wings with a creamy ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping and if you like some fresh vegetables.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERMILK:
To keep things simple and quick, you can buy buttermilk already made from any grocery.
I usually make the exact amount I need so I don’t have leftovers. Here’s how I make the 1/2 cup needed for this recipe:
Add 1/2 tablespoon of white vinegar OR lemon juice to 1/2 cup of milk (whatever kind you normally buy – I use 2%).
Gently stir then let it sit for 5 minutes. It’ll thicken slightly with small curdles. This homemade version won’t be as thick as the one from the store but it does the job in recipes.
How to make Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings:
Combine the buttermilk, buffalo sauce, ranch mix, garlic powder and (optional) cayenne pepper in a large zip top bag then add the wings and seal, pressing out any excess air.
Turn to coat the wings evenly then place in the refrigerator to marinate a minimum of 30 minutes up to 5-6 hours.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil then place the baking rack on top.
Remove the wings from the marinade shaking off any excess then place them on the wire rack.
Bake for 15 minutes then turn the wings over and continue baking 10 minutes more. Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the wings.
Next broil the wings for 2-3 minutes or until they’re golden and crisp then turn and continue broiling until they’re crispy all over. NOTE: broilers vary by oven so watch carefully so they don’t burn.
Remove from the oven and serve right away with
What goes with baked chicken wings?
Best Air Fryer French Fries – hand cut fries air fried to crisp outside, fluffy potatoes inside with just ONE TEASPOON of oil!
Creamy Coleslaw – Easy, delicious coleslaw with just 4 ingredients and 5 minutes! Crunchy slaw, creamy tangy-sweet dressing.
Grill OR bake Potatoes in Foil – ranch seasoned potatoes and onions grilled or baked in foil until tender and browned, topped with bacon and gooey melted cheddar cheese.
Looking for more chicken wing recipes?
Air Fryer Chicken Wings – light crisp breading outside, juicy meat inside and loaded with delicious bold flavor. Air fry using almost no oil plus quick and easy cleanup.
Deep Fried Chicken Wings – deep fried restaurant style with a light, crispy breading.
Spicy Grilled Chicken Wings – grilled spicy wings with a bold, sweet-spicy Jack Daniels sauce for layers of flavor.
If you tried this Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings recipe or any other on the blog, then I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating!
Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken wings separated into drummies and flappers, tips discarded
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 ounce package Original Ranch seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional for extra spice
- Combine the buttermilk, buffalo sauce, ranch mix, garlic powder and (optional) cayenne pepper in a large zip top bag then add the wings and seal, pressing out any excess air.
- Turn to coat the wings evenly then place in the refrigerator to marinate minimum 30 minutes up to 5-6 hours.
Baking the wings:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil then place the baking rack on top.
- Remove the wings from the marinade shaking off any excess then place them on the wire rack.
- Bake for 15 minutes then turn the wings over and continue baking 10 minutes more. Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the wings. They should be cooked through at this point.
- Broil the wings for 2-3 minutes or until they’re golden and crisp then turn and continue broiling the other side. Time will vary with ovens/broilers.
- Remove from the oven and serve right away with fresh vegetables (carrots, celery, etc) and ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping.