Easy Guacamole recipe with fresh avocado, lime juice, cilantro, red onion and jalapeno blended together for authentic Mexican flavor.Easy Guacamole Recipe. Those three words should always be linked together, plus:
- 5 minutes
- simple ingredients
- authentic flavor.
Today we’re making my favorite quick and Easy Guacamole Recipe. I’ve made it dozens of times over the years, always to rave reviews.
This Easy Guacamole Recipe is one of the simplest appetizers to whip up but more importantly – it’s incredibly good. Sometimes I’ll make a batch, blend a couple of cocktails and we’ll have our own Happy Hour!
For the best guacamole, it’s all about fresh ingredients: avocado, jalapeno, lime juice and cilantro. A little garlic powder, salt and pepper bring it all home.
How do I get the pit out of the avocado?
Slice the avocado in half lengthwise then give it a twist in opposite directions and gently pull the halves apart.
Using a teaspoon, scoop the pit out and remove. You’ll find other methods online, but this is by far the safest and move effective way.
How to choose ripe avocados for this easy guacamole recipe:
If you’ve ever cut into an avocado and found it brownish *yuck* and had to cut away at most of it just to find a small portion that was salvageable, you’ll want to read on.
- Check for firmness by pressing gently on the exterior of the avocado with your fingers. It should have a slight give, not firm like an apple but definitely not so soft you can push your finger through the skin.
- Next peel off the little ‘cap’ at the end of the avocado. It should come off easily showing green underneath. If it’s brown, the avocado is overripe.
What’s in this easy guacamole recipe?
To make my favorite guacamole, round up the following ingredients:
- red onion
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- lime juice
how do you make guacamole from scratch?
Now that you’ve removed the pits, use a teaspoon to scoop out the avocado then add it to a mixing bowl.
Mash the avocado with a fork to your desired consistency (I like mine a little chunky) then add the remaining ingredients.
Gently stir then taste and adjust for salt and lime juice.
Tips to keep guacmole from turning brown:
- Make the guacamole the day of the party so it’s bright green when guests arrive.
- Press plastic wrap directly against the guacamole removing any air from it and store it in the refrigerator.
How to customize this Easy Guacamole Recipe:
- Diced tomatoes
- Fruit such as mango, pomegranate or pineapple.
- Cheese – queso freso, cotija – or even goat or blue cheese.
- Sour cream for a creamier guacamole.
- Minced chipotle in adobo for spicier, smoky flavor.
At our house, a party isn’t a party without a few different appetizers. Chorizo Queso is another Mexican favorite ~ a warm, cheesy, spicy dip.
For a super simple, weeknight meal or easy-entertaining Taco Bar, try this 4-ingredient, Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken that’s absolutely loaded with bold flavor.
If you make this Homemade Guacamole recipe or any other on the blog, I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating in the recipe box.
Easy 5 Minute Homemade Guacamole
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons red onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh jalapano or to taste, finely chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro finely minced
- 1 wedge fresh squeezed lime juice or to taste
- tortilla chips
- Remove the pit from the avocado (see instructions in body of post) then scoop out the avocado flesh.
- Mash the avocado using a fork to your desired consistency.
- Fold in the remaining ingredients without over-mixing, taste and adjust salt and lime juice according to your preference. Serve with tortilla chips.