Authentic Key Lime Pie – this easy recipe is the real deal! Simple graham cracker crust with a sweet, creamy citrusy filling.
Looking for an easy, authentic Key Lime Pie recipe?
You’ve found it. Citrusy, sweet and tart all in one bite, plus a lightly crisp graham cracker crust.
This easy recipe is gonna blow your mind.
This delicious American dessert is perfect all year but especially in the summer.
Tart, sweet and loaded with fresh citrus flavor – it’s always a hit.
WHAT IS KEY LIME PIE?
Key Lime Pie is said to have originated in Key West.
Its simple graham cracker crust is filled with a creamy sweet-tart filling made with lime juice and sweetened condensed milk.
Serve it up plain or top with whipped cream, meringue or my simple raspberry sauce (how-to below).
WHAT KIND OF LIMES ARE BEST FOR KEY LIME PIE?
Key limes are best for authentic, classic flavor.
If you can’t find them in the grocery store (or don’t have time to juice them), Nellie and Joe’s Key Lime Juice is authentic and works just as well in this recipe.
It’s in pretty much any grocery store in the juice aisle.
WHAT’S IN AUTHENTIC KEY LIME PIE?
NOTE: you can also use a pre-made 9″ graham cracker pie crust
- graham cracker crumbs
- sweetened condensed milk
- key lime juice
- lime zest
- sour cream
Optional pie toppings:
- slivered almonds
- whipped cream
- raspberry jam (whatever brand is your favorite)
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST KEY LIME PIE:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine finely crushed graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a medium bowl then blend in the melted butter.
Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9″ ungreased pie pan using the bottom of a 1/4 cup measuring cup then refrigerate while you make the filling.
To a medium bowl, add sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and zest and vanilla.
Whisk until combined well then pour into the pie shell.
Bake 8-10 minutes or until small bubbles begin to form and it is still slightly jiggly with a light shake (it’ll firm up when it cools).
Cool completely then refrigerate. Serve plain or with whippped cream, slivered almonds around the edges, a lime twist or raspberry sauce.
The raspberry sauce:
Add 1/2 cup of your favorite raspberry preserves to a small bowl then microwave 15-20 seconds or until the jam can be easily drizzled.
HOT TIPS AND FAQ:
Can I use ‘regular’ limes?
Yes, but you won’t have the same tangy lime flavor. Use fresh squeezed key limes or Nellie and Joe’s bottled key lime juice.
Does Key Lime Pie need to be refrigerated?
Yes – refrigerate to allow the pie to set up and for safe food handling. It also just tastes better chilled!
How long does Key Lime Pie last in the fridge?
Key Lime Pie will last in the fridge up to 3 days.
Can I freeze Key Lime Pie?
Yes! Cool completely then transfer to an airtight, freezer-safe container and store up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge then eat.
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY DESSERT RECIPES?
Let’s be friends on FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM where you’ll find all my recipes and a peek into my daily life.
Be sure to follow me on PINTEREST for every one of recipes plus the best recipes from my favorite bloggers!
SUBSCRIBE ⇓ for all the latest recipes directly into your email box.
If you make this authentic Key Lime Pie or any other recipe on the blog, don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating!
Authentic Key Lime Pie
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs finely crushed
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 2 14 ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup sour cream full fat
- 3/4 cup lime juice fresh squeezes
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup your favorite raspberry preserves for raspberry sauce
- whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a medium bowl. Fold in the butter and blend well. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie pan (ungreased).
- Refrigerate the pie shell while you blend the filling.
- Blend the sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and zest and vanilla by hand.
- Pour into the prepared pie shell and bake for 8-10 minutes or until small bubbles begin to form (don't overbake!).
- Remove the pie from the oven. Cool completely then refrigerate several hours (or overnight) before serving.
- Top with whipped cream and slivered almonds. To make the raspberry sauce, add 1/2 cup to a small bowl. Microwave 15-20 seconds or until it's warmed. Drizzle the sauce over each slice when served.