Easy Key Lime Pie with Raspberry Sauce
Easy Key Lime Pie ~ the best, authentic recipe starts with fresh squeezed lime juice blended with a few other ingredients and baked in a simple graham cracker crust. Tangy-sweet with a little texture from slivered almonds. It doesn’t get much better . . . until a simple raspberry sauce is drizzled over the top.
Some of the best Key Lime Pie I’ve ever eaten is from Publix grocery store in Florida. No joke. We escape to Florida every winter to relax with family and soak up some sun. Publix pie is one of the first things we buy. Smooth and creamy ~ slightly sweet with just the right amount of tangy lime flavor.
Here in the Midwest, there isn’t a Publix within several states so when I get a craving for Key Lime Pie, I make this one. It reminds me of warm breezes, swaying palm trees, Jimmy Buffett music and the sun on my face. The raspberry sauce is my own spin that takes an already delicious pie to the next level.
Key Lime Pie is one of my husband’s favorite desserts. He has no shame eating it for breakfast washed down with coffee but finds it equally good with a rum drink in hand. I guess it reminds him of Florida, too.
Easy Key Lime Pie ingredients:
- sweetened condensed milk
- sour cream (full fat)
- fresh squeezed lime juice
- lime zest
- slivered almonds
- whipped cream
- raspberry jam (whatever brand is your favorite)
Do I have to use key limes?
Key limes aren’t always easy to find. So feel free to use ‘regular’ limes found in any grocery store like I did today. If you have easy access (remember we’re keeping this pie easy) feel free to use key limes.
The crust is a basic graham cracker crust. Whether you crush the crackers yourself or buy them ready smashed, it makes the ideal quick, fail-proof vessel for the stuff you’re really here for. You can also use a pre-made graham cracker crust from the store.
Instructions for making Easy Key Lime Pie:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a medium bowl then fold in the melted butter blending well. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9″ ungreased pie pan then refrigerate while you make the filling.
Add the sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and zest and vanilla to a medium bowl then blend by hand.
Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell and bake 8-10 minutes or until small bubbles begin to form (don’t overbake). Remove the pie from the oven, cool completely then refrigerate several hours (or overnight) before serving.
Top the pie with whipped cream (canned or homemade), slivered almonds around the edge and raspberry sauce.
To make the raspberry sauce simply add 1/2 cup of your favorite raspberry preserves to a small bowl. Microwave 15-20 seconds or until it’s warm and can easily be drizzled over each slice when you serve it.
Canned or homemade whipped cream?
Either! I’ve made homemade whipped cream and used the stuff in the can my (adult) children still love to squirt in their mouth. If you want to make your own homemade whipped cream, here’s how it goes:
Whisk 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla until soft peaks form. Add as much as you like to the pie.
I hope you enjoy this pie as much as we do.
Need an easy meal keeping with the tropical theme? How about Margarita Chicken Fajitas ~ tequila-lime marinated chicken seared and served up with caramelized vegetables. Grill or sauté the whole meal in one skillet indoors.
If you tried this Key Lime Pie recipe or any other on the blog, I’d love a comment or star rating in the recipe box ~ I love hearing from you!
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 2 14 ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup sour cream full fat
- 3/4 cup lime juice fresh squeezes
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves your favorite brand
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a medium bowl. Fold in the butter and blend well. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie pan (ungreased).
- Refrigerate the pie shell while you blend the filling.
- Blend the sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and zest and vanilla by hand.
- Pour into the prepared pie shell and bake for 8-10 minutes or until small bubbles begin to form (don't overbake!).
- Remove the pie from the oven. Cool completely then refrigerate several hours (or overnight) before serving.
- Top with whipped cream and slivered almonds. To make the raspberry sauce, add 1/2 cup to a small bowl. Microwave 15-20 seconds or until it's warmed. Drizzle the sauce over each slice when served.