Veggie Flatbread Pizza
Veggie Flatbread Pizza ~ crispy flatbread topped with pesto, roasted vegetables and 2 kinds of cheese and baked. Tasty any night dinner or appetizer.
Today marks Day 5 in a 21 Day Yoga challenge my friend Audrey and I committed to.It sounded easy when we signed up. Audrey had never tried yoga, but I sold her on how relaxing it is. What neither of us factored in was leaving the warmth and comfort of our homes each evening for 12 degree temps outside.
But we’ve shown up each night for ourselves and each other and because of this yoga challenge, I’m also challenging myself to be mindful about eating better. I’m not giving up my favorite foods, but this Veggie Flatbread Pizza really hit the spot after yoga. It’s food you can feel good about eating.
Yoga is a full-body workout embraced men and women of all ages and athletic abilities. It helps remedy many of the aches we suffer from, improves balances and puts us on a positive mental track.
Don’t be intimated if you’ve never tried it. There are always a couple of yoga gurus in class but the majority are like us, doing the best we can and improving each day.
With out without yoga though, this Veggie Flatbread Pizza is really delicious. The choice in pizza toppings is personal. I used what I had on hand when I made this pizza and substituted pesto for classic pizza sauce.
Use your favorite in-season vegetables or what’s in your refrigerator and definitely roast the veggies. The few minutes it takes is well worth it. Roasting caramelizes them adding incredible flavor. You’ll want to cut the veggies about the same size so they cook evenly.
I like making homemade pizza but I don’t always have time. Flatbread from Stonefire is my favorite flatbread and there’s even a wheat option I used today. I try to keep a package or two in the freezer at all times for food emergencies, like when my kids stop over because no matter what time they get here, they’re hungry.
Veggie Flatbread Pizza an ideal lunchtime option too. It’s filling but won’t weigh you down or make you feel like you need an afternoon nap ~ though if you do take a nap I would never judge you. Not me. Uh-uh.
- grape tomatoes
- red onion
- bell pepper
- fresh mozzarella
- Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 425° then slice and chop the vegetables and transfer them to a large baking sheet. Drizzle them with olive oil and season with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, combining everything with your hands or a spoon. Roast the veggies 10-12 minutes or until they’re done.
Lay the flatbread on the pizza stone or another baking sheet. Top with a layer of Pesto (homemade or store bought) then scatter the veggies over the top. Tear the mozzarella into bite-size pieces and add to the pizza, then grate the parmesan over the top.
Bake 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle the sliced basil over the top.
Veggie Flatbread Pizza is my own little slice or three of bliss.
If you tried this recipe or any other on the blog, don’t forget to leave a comment or star rating ~ I love hearing from you!
- 1 whole wheat flatbread
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/4 cup sliced bell pepper
- sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella hand torn
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
- Optional: 2 tablespoons corn meal sprinkled on the pizza stone under the pizza for a crispier crust.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice and chop the vegetables then transfer them to a large baking sheet.
- Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil, season with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper then gently toss to combine.
- Roast 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Optional: sprinkle cornmeal onto pizza stone then lay the flatbread on top.
- Top with pesto then layer with veggies, hand torn mozzarella and grated parmesan.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted then sprinkle the sliced basil over the top.