Flourless Cheese Sauce – easy homemade 3 cheese sauce – gluten-free – NO Velveeta! Great for nachos, topping vegetables, dipping fries and more.
You guys asked for it – an easy recipe without Velveeta for a gluten-free creamy cheese sauce made from scratch with minimal ingredients.
You’ve got it! Kid friendly and perfect with everything from french fries to broccoli, soft pretzels and the nachos of our dreams.
This is the best flourless cheese sauce you’ll find and let’s face it, a delicious cheese sauce just makes everything better.
This is a simple recipe – even if it’s your first time making homemade cheese sauce.
I’m walking you through with step by step instructions for how to make the best gluten-free cheese sauce.
WHAT do i do with homemade CHEESE SAUCE?
- Pour over roasted broccoli or any favorite veggies – great for a picky eater!
- Use as a dip with tortilla chips.
- Use as the ultimate french fry dip.
- Add to cooked pasta for simple mac and cheese (regular or GF pasta).
- Make loaded baked potatoes – plus crispy bacon, sour cream and slivered green onions.
- Nachos – spice up this melty cheese for delicious cheesiness in each crevice of every tortilla chip.
- Add ground beef – or ground chorizo for a delicious meaty appetizer.
WHAT’S IN FLOURLESS CHEESE SAUCE?
- whole milk (NOT skim or 2%)
- American cheese
- Montery Jack cheese
- Sharp Cheddar cheese
- black pepper
- dry mustard
HOW TO MAKE A FLOURLESS CHEESE SAUCE:
Cube the American cheese and shred the Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses on a box grater then set aside.
Add the 3/4 cup of milk and butter to a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally then blend in the pepper and dry mustard (no salt is added at this time due to the saltiness of the cheeses),
When the butter has melted and small bubbles start to form in the milk (but before it starts boiling!) reduce heat to low.
Slowly add the cheese cubes and shredded cheese a little at a time whisking until the cheese melts completely.
Continue whisking until it forms a silky, creamy texture then taste and add salt if needed.
The cheese sauce will thicken as it cools but if your sauce is too thick, add a splash of milk – one tablespoon at a time until it reaches the consistency you prefer then enjoy right away.
WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVERS:
Store leftover flourless cheese sauce in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days.
NOTE: the cheese sauce will solidify when it’s chilled but reheats easily.
To reheat on the stove add the cheese sauce to a small saucepan over low heat. Gradually stir in 1-2 tablespoons of milk. Stir often until warm and a smooth consistency.
This cheese sauce also also be reheated in the microwave on low power, stirring about every 30 seconds until warm.
NACHO CHEESE SAUCE:
To make homemade gluten-free nacho cheese sauce here’s all you’ll need to add to the recipe:
- 2-3 tablespoons pickled jalapeno juice (brine from the jar)
- 4-6 pickled jalapeno slices finely chopped (or ore to taste)
- pinch of cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch or salt (or to taste)
- One of the best tips I can give you is to buy a block of cheese and grate the cheese yourself on a box grater. Pre-shredded cheese contains additives to keep it from clumping that also prevent it from melting into the silky smooth sauce we crave.
- Add the cheese slowly letting it melt so it doesn’t clump.
- Use whole milk for the creamiest cheese sauce. Low-fat milk (skim, 1%, 2%) aren’t recommended for this recipe.
There are many different cheeses you can use to make cheese sauce. Next time, try a different kind of cheese from any of the easy-melting cheeses below:
- American Cheese slices (4)
- White American or white cheddar (for a white sauce)
- Colby Jack
- Monterey Jack
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Mild cheddar cheese
HOW TO FIX A GRAINY CHEESE SAUCE:
If your sauce is grainy, here’s what to do:
Warm the sauce over very low heat, adding a couple of tablespoons of warm milk whisking constantly until smooth.
SUBSCRIBE here ⇓ for all the latest recipes directly to your email box.
If you tried this easy flourless cheese sauce recipe any other on the blog don’t forget to leave a star rating and comment!
Flourless Cheese Sauce
- 3/4 cup whole milk don't use 2% or skim milk!)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 pound American cheese from the deli cut in cubes
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese freshly shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- pinch black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
NACHO CHEESE SAUCE (to the basic recipe add):
- pinch of cayenne pepper (or more to taste)1/4 teaspoon garlic powderPinch or salt (or to taste)
- 2-3 tablespoons pickled jalapeno juice brine from the jar
- 4-6 sliced pickled jalapenos finely chopped (or more to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch salt or to taste
- Cube the American cheese and shred the Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses and set aside.
- Add milk and butter to a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally then stir in the pepper and dry mustard. NO salt added at this time due to the saltiness of the cheeses.
- When the butter has melted and small bubbles start to form in the milk (but before it starts boiling!) reduce heat to low and slowly add the cheeses a little at a time whisking until the cheese melts.
- Continue whisking until the cheese has a silky, creamy texture.
- NOTE: The cheese sauce will thicken as it cools but if your sauce is too thick, add a splash of milk, one tablespoon at a time.