Greek Chicken Recipe – easy chicken marinade from Greek yogurt, olive oil and herbs for tender, juicy chicken with delicious classic Greek flavors.
This Greek Chicken marinade whips up with just a few simple ingredients and 5 minutes prep.
It infuses the chicken with a ton of flavor – lemon, garlic and herbs – that even picky eaters will love!
The yogurt in the marinade makes this chicken tender and juicy.
Cook any way you like – skillet, oven baked, indoors, outdoors – you get the picture!
Just don’t miss this over-the-top delicious, healthy meal. You’re gonna want it on dinner repeat from here on.
It’s that good!
Another thing I love about this recipe is that the marinade can also be used as a way-better-than-bottled salad dressing!
Reserve some of the marinade before you add the chicken and drizzle it all over your favorite salads.
TIPS FOR THE BEST GREEK CHICKEN + SUBS:
- Marinate the chicken at least 15 minutes up to overnight (I shoot for 2 hours).
- Cooking time will vary with the size of each piece – for whole breasts allow longer cooking time.
- For salads set aside 1/3 cup marinade for the chicken. Refrigerate the rest for salad dressing.
- Use a meat thermometer for perfectly cooked chicken.
- Get a good sear on the chicken when you cook it – it adds so much flavor!
variations and subs:
- Add fresh herbs instead of dry.
- Sub in boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts.
- Use 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder instead of fresh garlic in the marinade.
- Cube and skewer the chicken with onion and bell peppers. Grill for Chicken Kabobs.
- I cut the chicken in smaller pieces for salads and pizza but breasts can be left whole (cook time will be longer).
- Cook in a skillet or grill pan on the stove, bake in the oven on a baking sheet or on an outdoor grill.
- For outdoor cooking leave the breasts whole so they won’t fall through the grates.
WHAT’S IN THIS GREEK CHICKEN RECIPE?
Below are the marinade ingredients you’ll need for this recipe.
- olive oil
- whole lemon
- red wine vinegar
- garlic clove
- plain Greek yogurt
- salt and black pepper
- dill (fresh OR dry)
- dry oregano
HOW TO MAKE THIS GREEK CHICKEN RECIPE:
Cut the chicken breasts into several smaller pieces (about 3″ long and 2′ wide – ideal for salads and quick cooking).
Add the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
Whisk to combine well.
Add the chicken to a ziptop bag or other airtight container then pour the marinade over the top.
Place in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes up to overnight (I shoot for about 2 hours).
Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a hot skillet over medium-high heat.
Remove the chicken from the fridge, shake off excess marinade and place pieces of chicken into the skillet in a single layer.
Season with season with salt and pepper then cook 3-4 minutes per side or until golden and just cooked through.
You’re looking for an internal temperature of 165 degrees on a meat thermometer in the thicknest part.
Slightly less is okay, the meat will continue to cook a couple of degrees after the heat is shut.
Remove the chicken from the skillet and serve right away.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GREEK CHICKEN:
To make the Greek pizza you see above, here’s what you’ll need:
- Stonefire Naan Rounds
- Tzatziki (store bought or click for my homemade recipe)
- Greek Chicken
- Sliced cucumbers
- Fresh sliced tomatoes OR roasted tomatoes
- Red onion (I roasted the onion with the tomatoes)
- Feta cheese
This chicken is also perfect for Greek chicken gyros or Greek chicken bowls or make a Greek salad:
- cherry tomatoes
- red onions
- kalamata olives
- feta cheese
Here are a few easy sides I love with this chicken:
Tzatziki sauce – tangy, creamy Greek yogurt sauce.
Hummus – homemade hummus made in the blender or food processor in just 10 minutes!
Whipped Garlic Feta Dip – creamy 10 minute healthy dip with Greek yogurt, garlic and feta.
Greek Orzo Salad – cold Mediterranean salad with pesto, orzo, grape tomatoes, bell peppers and chickpeas.
You can even use this chicken recipe to make the ultimate Greek Nachos – a complete meal made with warm pita bread!
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY CHICKEN RECIPES?
Below are a few of my favorite delicious recipes with chicken as the star!
SUBSCRIBE here ⇓ for all the latest recipes directly to your email box.
If you tried this easy greek chicken recipe, or any other on the blog don’t forget to leave a COMMENT and STAR RATING!
Greek Chicken Recipe
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup olive oil + 1 tablespoon for cooking
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dill fresh or dry
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano dry
MARINATING THE CHICKEN:
- Cut chicken into smaller pieces (about 3″ long and 2′ wide – ideal for salads and quick cooking). NOTE: chicken breasts can be left whole - increase cooking time.
- Add all marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add chicken to a ziptop bag then pour the marinade over the top.
- Seal the bag then turn and smoosh the bag so the chicken is coated. Refrigerate at least 15 minutes up to overnight (I usually marinate 2 hours).
COOKING THE CHICKEN:
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a hot skillet over medium-high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge, shake off excess marinade then add to the skillet in a single layer.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes per side until just cooked through (165 degrees internal temp).
- Remove from the skillet and serve right away (see serving suggestions in body of post).
- If you made this recipe, don't forget to leave a comment and star rating!