Grilled Marinated Flank Steak
Grilled Marinated Flank Steak ~ tender, juicy and loaded with flavor this marinated steak grills in under 10 minutes!
I love the simplicity of summer and laid back entertaining. Potluck is always fun (and delicious) because let’s face it, it’s always our goal to bring an A-game dish to share.
The host (you and me) handle what may look like the heavy lifting (meat and fresh fruit sangria) but the reality is that this part is actually easy and effortless because this flank steak grills in under 10 minutes.
Today I’m not only sharing a marine recipe that leaves you with melt in your mouth flank steak loaded flavor, but my best grilling tips and I’m taking the mystery out of “slicing against the grain”.
There’s a reason this Grilled Marinated Flank Steak is on repeat all summer at my house. It’s inexpensive, easily feeds a crowd and it always tender, juicy, practically bursting with flavor and a 100% crowd pleaser.
Side dishes mean this whole meal can be prepared on the grill. Some bell peppers and onions, a quick salsa and some guacamole and you’ve got steak fajitas. Of course, a good dessert rounds out any meal and if you have an instant pot, you’re covered here.
Don’t save this recipe strictly for entertaining on weekends. Grilled Marinated Flank Steak is ideal for weekdays too because it cooks so fast.
Grilled Marinated Flank Steak Ingredients:
- flank steak
- olive oil
- soy sauce
- balsamic vinegar
- garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
Why choose flank steak?
Grilled Marinated Flank Steak is the ideal cut of steak for any level of grilling skills. It’s inexpensive but doesn’t taste like one when it’s marinated and grilled right. I’ll walk you through the process from marinating to grilling to slicing.
Add the olive oil, honey, soy sauce, balsamic, chopped garlic and black pepper to a gallon size zip top bag then seal and give it a light shake and few smooshes to blend everything.
Add the steak to the bag, turning to make sure the steak is coated then reseal the bag and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight for best flavor.
How to grill flank steak:
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (400-450°) then drain the marinade from the steak and bring it to room temperature (about 15 minutes on the counter). Gently shake any excess marinade and pieces of garlic from the steak then blot any excess moisture with a paper towel.
If the meat is too wet or moist, you won’t get the nice sear marks on it that add flavor.
Generously season the meat with salt on both sides then place the steak on the grill and close the lid.
Grill 4-5 minutes on the first side then flip and continue grilling 3 minutes more on the other side. Note: grilling time may vary with the size of your steak.
Transfer the meat to a platter or cutting board then let it rest 10 minutes before slicing. This let’s the meat reabsorb the juices.
Slice the flank steak against the grain.
Slice the flank steak against the grain. Cutting the meat with the grain will leave it tough instead of tender.
Imagine the flank steak as a piece of wood with the lines running the length of it. You can see the long grains of the meat below. Slice the steak the short length ~ width-wise at a slight angle.
Cooked and sliced right, Grilled Marinated Flank Steak practically melts in your mouth. It pairs perfectly with your favorite grilled summer veggies for an easy any-night meal or add your favorite pasta or potato salad and here’s a light, 2 ingredient dessert.
If you make this Grilled Marinated Flank Steak or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating.
- 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 pound flank steak
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Add the olive oil, honey, Kikkoman® Soy Sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic and black pepper to a gallon size zip top bag, then seal it and gently shake to blend the marinade.
- Place the steak inside the bag, seal and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight for best flavor.
- Before grilling, discard the marinade then lightly shake any excess marinade from the steak. Bring the meat to room temperature (about 15 minutes on the counter) then dab any excess moisture with paper towel.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (400-450°), generously season with salt on both sides then place the flank steak on the preheated grill, closing the lid.
- Grill 4-5 minutes on the first side then turn and continue grilling 3 minutes on the other side for medium rare meat. NOTE: grill time may vary with the exact size of your flank steak.
- After grilling remove the steak to a platter and allow rest 10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain. SEE BODY OF POST for instructions on cutting 'against the grain.
- Pesto Tortellini Salad ~ easy 5 ingredient cold salad ~ A Gouda life - […] salad goes with pretty much anything starting with Grilled Marinated Flank Steak or this spicy Honey Sriracha […]