Grilled Lemon Garlic Shrimp recipe – a twist on classic shrimp scampi. Shrimp skewers are grilled while basted in a garlic butter – white wine sauce. Perfect for busy summer nights, entertaining and date nights.
There’s so much to love about this easy recipe starting layers of delicious flavor!
Now that we’re finally headed into grilling season and backyard barbecues, I highly recommend this lemon garlic butter shrimp. It’s gourmet enough for entertaining with your favorite white wine – quick enough to whip on crazy-busy weeknights.
This recipe is at the top of my Easy Dinners List and my favorite way to grill shrimp. What’s not to like about garlicky shrimp and lemon butter sauce?
The shrimp cooks in a couple of minutes per side and before you know it you’re sitting down to a light, summery meal.
WHAT’S IN THIS LEMON GARLIC SHRIMP RECIPE?
A few fresh ingredients including lemon juice and garlic make lemon garlic butter shrimp one you’ll be turning to all grilling season.
- 21/25 (large) raw shrimp
- olive oil
- garlic cloves
- whole lemon
- dry white wine (pino grigio or sauvignon preferred)
- crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh parsley
You’ll also need 3-5 skewers for grilling.
WHAT KIND OF SHRIMP DO I USE?
Start with fresh raw shrimp from the grocery store or seafood market. I like 21/25 shrimp which refers to the size (large) and about how many you can expect in one pound.
If your shrimp haven’t been deveined, you’ll want to do it before cooking by running a paring knife along the back of the shrimp without cutting too deep. Pull out the ‘vein’ then rinse with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
I know it sounds gross but after doing a couple of them you won’t give it a thought.
I leave the tail on for a prettier presentation.
HOW TO MAKE GRILLED SHRIMP GRILLED LEMON GARLIC SHRIMP:
Prepare the scampi sauce first by adding the olive oil, grated garlic, fresh lemon juice and zest (only use HALF of the lemon) and white wine to a saucepan. Cook 2-3 minutes then stir in the butter, a small pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and the parsley.
NOTE: I use a very small pinch of red pepper flakes – you can add more according to your own spice level preference.
Reserve half of the scampi sauce and use the rest to baste the shrimp.
Preheat the grill to medium high heat – about 400 degrees and oil the grates.
Thread the shrimp onto the skewers then brush with the scampi sauce, season lightly with salt and pepper and place the skewers on the grill.
Cook 2-3 minutes per side or until the shrimp are pink and opaque with some char marks, brushing with sauce as it cooks.
NOTE: watch the shrimp closely. They cook in less time than you may think.
WHAT GOES WITH THIS GRILLED LEMON GARLIC SHRIMP?
I always serve this Lemon Garlic Shrimp Scampi with grilled or crusty bread. It’s great for getting every last drop of the buttery sauce. Here are a few other suggestions:
- Serve the rest of the garlic butter sauce for dipping
- Brush garlic butter sauce on sliced bread and grill until lightly toasted
- Lemon wedges
- Grilled zucchini or asparagus
- Brown or white rice
- Angel hair pasta
- Parmesan risotto -> click here for the recipe
- Cauliflower rice
- Zucchini noodles
- Air fryer baked potatoes -> click here for the recipe
LOOKING FOR MORE SHRIMP RECIPES?
Shrimp Scampi with Orzo – fresh shrimp and orzo simmered in a delicious garlic-butter, white wine sauce with bursts of lemon and a hint of red pepper flakes. Easy one pan, 30 minute meal.
Blackened Shrimp Pasta – Cajun seasoned shrimp and linguine in a zesty, flavorful tomato sauce.
Spicy New Orleans Shrimp – baked shrimp in a delicious rich, spicy buttery Cajun sauce served over rice or with crusty bread.
Greek Shrimp with Feta – fresh shrimp simmered in a chunky tomato-herb sauce with broiled feta cheese and a squeeze of fresh lemon. Easy, delicious 30 minute appetizer or main dish.
Shrimp Pasta Primavera – shrimp, fresh seasonal vegetables and pasta in a light, lemony-olive oil sauce topped with feta cheese. Easy 30 minute meal.
SUBSCRIBE ⇓ for all new recipes right to your email box.
If you tried this easy shrimp recipe or any other on the blog then I hope you’ll leave some stars and a comment below.
Grilled Lemon Garlic Shrimp
- 1 pound large raw shrimp 21/25 size
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole garlic cloves peeled and grated
- 1 large lemon 1/2 juice+zest, 1/2 wedges
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
Garlic Butter Scampi Sauce
- Add the olive oil, grated garlic, juice and zest from HALF of one lemon and white wine to a saucepan.
- Cook 2-3 minutes then stir in the butter, a small pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and the parsley.
- Reserve half of the sauce for basting. I like to use the other half to dip shrimp or bread at the table.
- Preheat the grill to about 400 degrees and oil the grates.
- Thread the shrimp onto the skewers then brush with the scampi sauce, season lightly with salt and pepper and place the skewers on the grill.
- Cook 2-3 minutes per side or until the shrimp are pink and opaque with some char marks, brushing with sauce as it cooks.
- Serve right away with extra sauce for dipping and lemon wedges. See body of post for suggested side dishes.
- NOTE: the shrimp skewers can also be grilled indoors on a grill skillet.