Grilled Spicy BBQ Chicken Wings – the best grilled chicken wings recipe – dry spice rubbed, fire grilled then tossed in a simple homemade spicy Jack Daniels sauce you don’t want to miss.
You can grill wings all day long but friends, but when it comes to achieving wing perfection, it’s the bbq sauce that sets them apart. This easy spicy homemade barbeque sauce with Jack Daniels is a step way above the others.
Wings are the perfect appetizer for game days, weekend barbecues or busy weeknights. But be sure to have plenty of paper towels on hand because these wings are a saucy, finger-lickin treat.
There are buffalo wings and there are bbq wings and then there are wings with an over-the-top combination of buffalo, smoky barbecue and whiskey. The next time you have a craving for hot wings I urge you to give this sauce a try.
They’re one of the ultimate finger foods. Let’s get started.
What’s in spicy grilled chicken wings?
- chicken wings
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- ground cayenne pepper
Jack Daniels sauce:
- Jack Daniels whiskey
- Frank’s Redhot Wings buffalo hot sauce
- Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet ‘N Spicy BBQ Sauce
PREPPING THE WINGS:
If you bought whole wings from the grocery store, use a sharp knife to separate them at the joint like you see above (drummies and flappers).
Next blend the dry rub ingredients in a large zip top bag then add the raw chicken wings. Give them a good shake so they’re evenly coated.
Transfer the wings to a large bowl, plate or baking sheet then refrigerate uncovered 10-15 minutes.
Remove the wings from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature while you make the sauce.
To make the sauce, add the Jack Daniels whiskey, buffalo sauce, Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce and butter to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and let it simmer 3-5 minutes or until it thickens, stirring frequently.
Add a pinch of salt and blend well.
HOW TO GRILL SPICY BBQ CHICKEN WINGS:
Preheat the grill to medium/medium-high heat (375-400°).
Place the wings over direct heat in a single layer and grill about 20 minutes or until the wings are cooked through and golden brown turning occasionally.
If the wings are getting too dark, turn one burner off and move the wings to indirect heat. Continue grilling to an internal temp of 165° degrees.
NOTE: cook time will vary based upon the size of the wings and exact grilling temperature.
Near the end of cooking, brush on the sauce, coating both sides and grilling about one more minute per side. Remove from the grill and eat right away.
What goes with GRILLED SPICY BBQ CHICKEN WINGS?
The best sides with wings are the ones you and your crew like best. Here are a few of my favorites:
Baked Potato – steakhouse style baked potatoes – crispy skin with fluffy perfectly cooked potato inside. Won’t heat up the house and cooks faster than the oven.
Air Fryer French Fries – hand cut potatoes air fries using almost no oil to golden crispy outside, tender potato inside
Potato Salad – old fashioned potato salad with bacon and real mayonnaise. Readers call this potato salad “amazing”.
LOOKING FOR MORE CHICKEN WING RECIPES?
Chicken wings make a simple meal or great appetizer. They’re loved by most people and take the guesswork out of what to serve:
Classic Deep Fried Buffalo Chicken Wings – lightly breaded, deep fried – NOT greasy – just delicious spicy pub style wings.
Crispy Baked Spicy BBQ Chicken Wings – for that time of year when the grill is put away.
Air Fryer Chicken Wings – juicy meat with light, crispy seasoned breading outside. Uses almost no oil and cleanup is quick and easy.
If you tried this Grilled Spicy BBQ Chicken Wings recipe or any other on the blog then I’d love it if you’d leave a comment and some stars!
Grilled Spicy BBQ Chicken Wings
- 2 1/2 - 3 pounds chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Jack Daniels Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Jack Daniels whiskey
- 1/4 cup Franks Redhot Wings Buffalo hot sauce
- 1/4 cup Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet 'N Spicy BBQ Sauce
- 21 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pinch salt
Prepping the Wings:
- If your wings are whole, separate at the joint into drummies and flappers.
- Blend the dry rub ingredients in a large zip top bag then add the raw chicken wings. Shake to evenly coat.
- Transfer to a large bowl or baking sheet then refrigerate uncovered 10-15 minutes. Remove the wings from the refrigerator to bring to room temperature while you make the sauce.
Making the Sauce:
- Add the Jack Daniels, Frank’s buffalo sauce, Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce and butter to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to simmer for 3-5 minutes or until the sauce thickens, stirring frequently.
- Add a pinch of salt and blend well.
Grilling the Wings:
- Preheat the grill to medium/medium-high heat (375-400°).
- Place the wings over direct heat in a single layer and grill about 20 minutes or until the wings are cooked through turning occasionally.NOTE: If the wings are getting too dark, turn one burner off and move the wings to indirect heat. Continue grilling to an internal temp of 165° degrees.
- Near the end of cooking, brush on the Jack Daniels sauce to coat and grill 1 more minute per side. Remove from the grill and eat right away.