Grilled Steak Tips – how to grill marinated steak bites, seared outside, tender and juicy inside in under 10 minutes plus 8 mistakes to avoid when grilling steak!
Steakhouse quality Grilled Steak Tips in under 10 minutes. Caramelized outside, tender and juicy inside every time.
Plus 8 mistakes to avoid when grilling steak!
Delicious steak tips are a staple of the summer grilling season and they couldn’t be any easier – or more delicious!
WHAT’S THE BEST MEAT FOR STEAK TIPS?
There is more than one great option when it comes to choosing the right cut of beef!
Each is an excellent choice and available in your local grocery store.
- Sirloin (budget friendly)
- Tri Tip (another budget friendly cut that’s often overlooked)
- Beef Tenderloin
- New York Strip Steaks
- Filet Mignon
- Ribeye Steak
- Chuck roast is not recommended
8 MISTAKES TO AVOID when grilling steak tips:
- Random size pieces. Cut beef into similar size pieces so the meat cooks evenly.
- Use a thermometer. The best way to perfect steak tips every time is to use an instant read meat thermometer for your desired doneness.
- Going right from fridge to grill. Bring steak to room temp on the counter 30 minutes before grilling.
- Starting moist meat. Pat excess marinade from the steak with a paper towel before grilling.
- Placing meat on an *almost* heated grill. Preheat for a hot grill before placing steak on the grates.
- Rushing the marinade process. Marinate at least 30 minutes – 3-4 hours for best flavor.
- Digging in too quickly! Let the steak tips rest 5 minutes after grilling so the juices redistribute (longer for whole steaks).
- Well done is too done. Don’t cook steaks to well done. Just don’t.
Grill the steak tips to your own preference. I don’t recommend cooking to well done because the meat will probably be dry.
- Rare: 120°
- Medium Rare: 130°
- Medium: 140°
- Medium Well: 150°
WHAT do i need to make GRILLED STEAK TIPS?
- sirloin steak (see above for other steak options)
- soy sauce
- fresh rosemary
- brown sugar
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- garlic cloves
- black pepper
You will also need sea salt or kosher salt — add to steak just before grilling.
PREPPING THE STEAK TIPS:
In a small bowl, whisk soy sauce, chopped rosemary, brown sugar, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, rough chopped garlic and black pepper together.
Cut the beef into about 1 1/2″ pieces then add to a zip top bag or other airtight container.
Pour marinade over the top, swishing it around so all the pieces are coated then transfer to the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, up to 4 hours.
Remove beef tips from the fridge 30 minutes before grilling to allow them to come to room temp.
Drain the marinade and dab tips with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
Season with kosher salt or sea salt.
HOW TO GRILL STEAK TIPS:
Preheat your gas grill to medium-high/high heat (450-500 degrees) and clean the grill grates using a wire brush.
Place the steak tips directly onto the grill grates over direct heat.
Cook 2-3 minutes per side with the lid closed or until the outside of the meat caramelizes and is grilled to your preferred doneness.
Watch closely – they cook quickly!
Grill time will depend upon the size of your steak tips and exact temp of the grill.
Remove from the grill and let the steak tips rest for 5 minutes then eat.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GRILLED STEAK TIPS:
LOOKING FOR MORE GRILLING RECIPES?
Be sure to follow me on PINTEREST where you’ll find every one of my recipes plus the best recipes from my favorite bloggers!
SUBSCRIBE ⇓ for all the latest.
If you make this easy Grilled Steak Tips recipe or any other recipe on the blog, don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating!
Grilled Steak Tips
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds sirloin steak Can sub Tri Tip, Beef Tenderloin, NY Strip, ilet Mignon or Ribeye Steak
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary removed from stems and rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and rough chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Prepping the Steak Tips:
- Whisk soy sauce, chopped rosemary, brown sugar, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, rough chopped garlic and black pepper together in a small bowl.
- Cut beef into 1 1/2″ approximately equal size pieces then add to a zip top bag.
- Pour marinade over the top, swishing it around so all the pieces are coated then transfer to the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, up to 4 hours.
- Remove beef from the fridge 30 minutes before grilling to allow them to come to room temp.
- Drain the marinade and dab beef with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Season with kosher salt or sea salt.
- Preheat grill to medium-high/high heat (450-500 degrees). Once the grill is hot, place steak tips directly onto the grates over direct heat.
- Cook 2-3 minutes per side with the lid closed or until the outside of the meat caramelizes and is grilled to your preferred doneness. Watch closely because they cook quickly! Grill time will vary based upon the size of your steak tips and exact temp of the grill.
- Remove from the grill to a plate and let the meat rest for 5 minutes so juices redistribute then eat with your favorite sides.