Homemade Lemonade ~ from fresh squeezed lemons, sugar and water. Simple ingredients for old fashioned lemonade just like you get at the county fair!
I am in serious “fair food” withdrawal. Icy cold lemonade, corn dogs, Fried Oreos – you get the picture. We take the kids to the fair every year. The trip isn’t complete with lemonade, all the rides we can stomach along with some 4-H prize winning farm animals in between.
This year the fairs have been cancelled so I’m bringing some of the goodies home. This fresh squeezed Homemade Lemonade may even be better than the fair version. It’s practically summer in a glass.
Some recipes you’ll see call for simple syrup which involves boiling water and dissolving sugar in it. This one does not. You won’t believe how easy it is to make fresh squeezed lemonade with just 3 ingredients.
Tips for the best homemade lemonade:
Before slicing the lemons, firmly roll them between your palm and the counter top pressing as you roll. This releases the most juice from them.
Skip the simple syrup and let the lemon juice dissolve the sugar. Just stir the sugar directly into the fresh squeezed lemon juice then whisk to completely dissolve.
Don’t add ice until you’re ready to enjoy the lemonade. You don’t want to dilute all that tasty lemon flavor.
what’s in homemade lemonade?
No powders, no concentrate – just 3 simple ingredients for the best, old fashioned Homemade Lemonade:
- fresh squeezed lemon juice (approx. 6 lemons)
- granulated sugar
- cold water
How to make homemade lemonade:
Juice the lemons then add the lemon juice to a pitcher. Add the sugar to the lemon juice then whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved.
Measure then add cold water to the pitcher and stir to blend well. Taste and add more sugar if you prefer it sweeter. This is a slightly less sweeter version of lemonade made at fairs.
To serve, fill glasses with ice then top with lemonade. Optional: garnish with fresh mint or lemon slices.
This lemonade is not just for kids! For a refreshing adult cocktail, add ice to a glass then pour in 1 1/2 ounces of your favorite vodka, top with Homemade Lemonade, garnish with lemon slices and serve right away.
If you tried this Homemade Lemonade recipe or any other on the blog then I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating!
- 1 cup lemon juice (approx. 6 lemons)3/4 cup granulated sugar2 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice approx. 6 lemons
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups cold water
- Juice the lemons then add the lemon juice to a pitcher. Add the sugar to the lemon juice then whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Measure then add cold water to the pitcher and stir to blend well. Taste and add more sugar if you prefer it sweeter. Refrigerate until ready to enjoy. NOTE: don't add ice until serving.
- To serve , fill glasses with ice then top with lemonade. Optional: garnish with fresh mint or lemon slices.