Honey Chipotle Glazed Meatloaf
Honey Chipotle Glazed Meatloaf ~ cheesy meatloaf with a slightly sweet, boldly spicy caramelized honey chipotle glaze baked on top.
Meatloaf doesn’t always have the best reputation. It’s been known to be greasy, dry, flavorless. The stuff that’s passed by in the cafeteria line and sometimes even at home. Honey Chipotle Glazed Meatloaf is just the recipe to set all those outdated, preconceived notions about meatloaf aside.
This meatloaf is perfectly seasoned with a slightly sweet and yes, boldly spicy glaze that with the magic of the baking process caramelizes ~ and as if that’s not enough to get you to the table on time, I added some grated sharp cheddar cheese, inside too.
My standard meatloaf is a classic recipe I’ve been making for years, smothered in mushroom gravy but the last couple of weeks I’ve been cleaning out the pantry and refrigerator before we leave on vacation, creating some new recipes with the ingredients I found.
A can of chipotle peppers in adobo was just what this Honey Chipotle Glazed Meatloaf needed to take it to the next level. As comforting as its classic cousin, but with sass. Lots of sass.
Honey Chipotle Glazed Meatloaf isn’t just Tuesday night fare ~ though it can be ~ it’s simple, yet ridiculously good with just the right harmony of flavors all bound together with eggs and breadcrumbs. It’s so good, you may even want to entertain with it. I kid you not.
Tip: chipotle peppers pack some serious heat. I used one pepper, but if you’re into lots of fire, add another. The rest can be frozen for another recipe.
- chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- ground cumin
- Worcestershire sauce
- ground chuck
- Italian breadcrumbs
- ground cumin
- chili powder
- salt and pepper
- grated sharp cheddar cheese
Honey Chipotle Glazed Meatloaf Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees then in a small bowl, whisk the ketchup, honey, finely minced chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, cumin, cilantro and Worcestershire sauce then it set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, onion, cilantro, breadcrumbs, milk, whisked egg, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and shredded cheese. Then using your hands, gently work the mixture together until it’s well blended without overworking it.
Shape the meat into a loaf without packing it too tightly and place it in a baking dish.
If you have an actual meatloaf pan of course use it but I’ve always made meatloaf in a baking dish with sides so when the meat releases its juice, it has a place to go.
Brush or pour the glaze over the top and sides then bake uncovered 35-40 minutes or until the meat is cooked through. Simmer any leftover sauce in a saucepan for 8-10 minutes and serve on the side.
Potatoes always go well with meatloaf. Other tasty options: buttered noodles or salad
Trust me when I say one meatloaf recipe is never enough so when you’re craving meatloaf again, try this and let me know what you think.
If you make this Honey Chipotle Glazed Meatloaf recipe, I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating in the recipe box.
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey
- 1 chipotle pepper finely minced plus one tablespoon of its adobo sauce
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound ground chuck
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro
- ⅓ cup dry italian breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese grated optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.In a small bowl, whisk the ketchup, honey, finely minced chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, cumin, cilantro and Worcestershire sauce then set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, onion, cilantro, breadcrumbs, milk, whisked egg, Worcestershire, cumin, salt, pepper and shredded cheese. Using your hands, combine until it’s well blended.
- Shape the meat into a loaf without packing it too tightly (packing the meatloaf too tightly dries it out) and place in the baking dish.
- Bake uncovered 35-40 minutes or until the meat is cooked through all the way.