Hummus without Tahini ~ watch the VIDEO and make this healthy treat in 10 minutes! Creamy, loaded with garlic and lemon flavor. Just 6 ingredients ~ way better than packaged stuff.I have nothing against tahini, but the last time I bought it I could only find it in a super size jar that expired before I could use it all. I hate wasting food!
This Hummus without Tahini rivals any I’ve had with tahini and since I usually have everything on hand to make it, it’s easier than a trip to the store for pre-packaged plus takes much less time. Of course, flavor is what counts and this creamy hummus has plenty of that too.
How do I make creamy hummus?
I read this trick, tried it and it’s definitely my new favorite and best tip for super creamy hummus. Here it is: take the skins off the chick peas.
I’ve made hummus with and without de-skinning the chick peas but for the creamiest hummus you’ll ever eat, those skins must come off. Leaving them on, no matter how long the chick peas are blended, the hummus still has a sluggish, rustic texture.
It’s not as time consuming as you’d think. Just rub each one between your thumb and first finger and they fall right off. In fact, many come off on their own while they’re in the can.
What’s in Hummus without Tahini?
- Olive oil
- Chick peas, drained and skins removed
- Sea salt (or more to taste)
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice (or more to taste)
How to make Hummus without Tahini:
In a small skillet, warm the olive oil over low heat then drop in the garlic cloves. Simmer 5 minutes to flavor the oil, stirring occasionally so the garlic doesn’t burn then remove from the heat to cool and discard the garlic.
Next drain the chick peas and remove their skins then add them to the food processor. Drizzle in the olive oil then add the cumin, salt and lemon juice.
Pulse until the chick peas are coarsely chopped, then begin adding the water a little at a time and blend at full power until the hummus has a silky, creamy texture. This is the consistency you’re looking for ⇓ then taste and adjust the salt and lemon juice according to your own preferences.
what can I do with this hummus?
Here are a few suggestions:
- Serve as an appetizer with pita bread (or pita chips) and fresh colorful veggies.
- Slather some on an English muffin then add an over-easy egg for breakfast.
- Smear on a sandwich instead of mayo (think turkey, lettuce, tomato on a whole grain bread).
- Include in one of my favorite appetizer recipes.
How long will this homemade hummus last?
This homemade hummus will last in a sealed container in the refrigerator 4-5 days. If you’re like me though, you will have it eaten before then.
Can I freeze Hummus without Tahini?
Yes! You can freeze this homemade hummus in an airtight, freezer-safe container. It’ll expand as it freezes so leave room and don’t fill it all the way to the top.
All hummus isn’t created the same!
Did you know that not all hummus is made with chick peas? Black Eyed Pea Hummus is a healthy, creamy variety that’s another favorite in my house. Bonus: It’s said that eating black eyed peas New Year’s Day will bring luck all year.
If you tried this Easy Hummus recipe or any other on the blog then I’ve love to hear from you with a comment or star rating!
Easy Hummus Recipe Without Tahini
- 2 cans chickpeas drained and skins removed
- 2 cloves garlic whole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or more to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice or more to taste
- 1/2 cup of water all the water may not be used
- Warm the olive oil in a small skillet over low heat. Drop in the garlic cloves and simmer 5 minutes to flavor the olive oil, stirring occasionally so they don’t burn then remove from heat and discard the garlic..
- Drain the chickpeas and remove the skins.
- Add the chickpeas to the food processor along with the olive oil, cumin, salt and lemon juice.
- Pulse until the check peas are coarsely chopped, then begin adding the water a little at a time, blending at full power.
- When your hummus looks like this:
- When the hummus reaches a creamy consistency, taste and adjust the salt and lemon juice according to your own preferences.