Italian Sausage Tortellini cooks in 20 minutes completely in ONE POT! Italian sausage, tortellini, tomatoes, spinach and parmesan cheese in a delicious creamy sauce.
It’s the time of year when there aren’t enough hours in the day – maybe moreso with the craziness that is 2020. Still hunger looms every evening so I fight the urge for a giant bowl of popcorn and some Netflix.
I encourage everyone to support owners and staff of local restaurants in whatever way we can, but when you’re craving a quick and easy homemade meal, Italian Sausage Tortellini is it.
Tender cheese-filled tortellini, lightly spiced Italian sausage, diced tomatoes and spinach blanketed in a creamy sauce. Everything cooks in one pot in just 20 minutes. Who’s in?
I’ve made this recipe a number of times since I created it and each time I’m amazed at all the flavor in just 20 minutes.
You can leave the spinach out if you’d rather, but it adds nutrition and a pop of color as an added bonus without changing the flavor of the dish at all.
what’s in italian sausage tortellini?
- fresh Italian sausage (not smoked)
- garlic cloves
- tomato paste
- chicken stock
- canned diced tomatoes
- dry Italian seasoning
- heavy cream
- tortellini (Buitoni brand used)
- fresh spinach
- grated parmesan cheese
how to make italian sausage tortellini:
I use locally made mild Italian sausage but if you want to kick up the heat a little, use hot Italian. Both 3-cheese and spinach-cheese tortellini work well. You can find either in the refrigerated area of the pasta aisle in the grocery store.
Make a slit down the length of each sausage then remove the sausage from the casing and crumble it into the skillet. Cook over medium heat until it’s cooked through breaking up any clumps.
Grate in the garlic, add the tomato paste then stir to blend and cook for one minute over medium low heat.
Add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes (and their juices), dry Italian seasoning, heavy cream, tortellini and spinach then give it all a good stir. This may seem like an excessive amount of spinach but it wilts down to what you see in the final photos of the dish.
Cook uncovered 5-7 minutes until the tortellini is tender, the sauce has thickened and the spinach is wilted (the sauce will thicken a bit more when you add the parmesan cheese).
Stir in the parmesan cheese then taste and season with salt to your preference. Serve right away with extra fresh grated parmesan cheese.
what goes with italian sausage tortellini?
- side salad
- focaccia bread (or any fresh bread)
- red wine
looking for other pasta recipes?
These are a few of my favorite pasta recipes on the blog because 1) they’re delicious! and 2) they all cook in under 30 minutes!
Chicken Alfredo Pasta – tender pasta in creamy homemade Alfredo sauce with chicken. Cooks in ONE pot in under 30 minutes!
Pasta Alla Vodka – pasta in rich, delicious tomato-cream vodka sauce topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese . Another 30 minute meal!
Marry Me Chicken Pasta – tender chicken in a creamy irresistible sauce with sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms and fresh herbs blended with fettuccine.
If you tried this Italian Sausage Tortellini recipe or any other on the blog then I hope you’ll leave a comment and some stars!
Italian Sausage Tortellini
- 2 links Italian Sausage (fresh NOT smoked) removed from casing
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes including the juices
- 2 teaspoons dry Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh tortellini 3-cheese OR spinach-cheese flavor
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated (+ more for serving)
- salt to taste
- Make a slit down the length of each sausage then remove the sausage from the casing and crumble it into the skillet. Cook over medium heat until it’s no longer pink, breaking up any clumps.
- Grate in the garlic, add the tomato paste then stir to blend and cook one minute.
- Add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes (and their juices), dry Italian seasoning, heavy cream, tortellini and spinach then stir to combine.
- Cook uncovered 5-6 minutes over medium heat until the tortellini is tender, the sauce has thickened and the spinach is wilted.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese then taste and season with salt to your preference. Serve right away with extra grated parmesan cheese.