Jalapeno Popper Pigs in a Blanket ~ watch the VIDEO! Mini smoked sausages wrapped in warm, flaky, golden crescent dough filled with two kinds of cheese, spicy jalapenos and crispy bacon bits.I actually do kind of enjoy the football part of the Super Bowl even though our home team wasn’t even close to being there, but let’s face it, the commercials and the food come in 1st and 2nd in my book ~ and not necessarily in that order.
Football food is pretty much the best food around, especially on Super Bowl Sunday, which gives us license to eat all sorts of food we try to stay away from the rest of the year.
On game day home cooks become as competitive as the players on the field with first string recipes like Chorizo Queso Dip or Sausage Wonton Cups and these Jalapeno Popper Pigs in a Blanket ~ mini smoked sausages wrapped in crescent dough and filled with two kinds of cheese, jalapenos and bacon then baked until lightly golden and flaky.
They’re a combination of the classic Pigs in a Blanket and Jalapeno Poppers, but better. So much better. . .
Looking for the ultimate party appetizer?
This is it! Whether you’re going to a Super Bowl party, hosting one or just watching the game at home, you’ll need to make some food and this is not the day to phone it in.
You don’t need to spend much. These Jalapeno Popper Pigs in a Blanket cost just pennies per, are can’t-stop-yourself good and have been tested, approved and devoured by my family. They also happen to go really with well with Grapefruit Margaritas in case you’re interested.
I have made this recipe with both fresh and pickled jalapenos in the jar and found the pickled ones work better. They take the guesswork out of the spice level and the little bit of liquid from them adds extra flavor.
want to make your own pickled jalapenos?
It couldn’t be easier! Just 10 minutes and a few ingredients – starting with fresh jalapeno peppers from the grocery store. That’s it – no canning required! Click here ⇒ for the link.
Jalapeno Popper Pigs in a Blanket Ingredients:
- Crescent dough sheet **
- Lit’l Smokies cocktail sausages
- jalapeno (from the jar)
- cream cheese
- shredded cheddar cheese
- bacon bits (or 3 slices of bacon cooked until crisp and crumbled)
- coarse salt
- Parchment paper (optional for easier cleanup)
My grocery store doesn’t carry crescent sheets!
I’ve got your back! If you can’t find crescent dough in sheets at your grocery store, use packaged refrigerated crescent dinner rolls instead and just pinch the perforations closed.
how to make jalapeno popper pigs in a blanket:
Preheat the oven to 375° then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Bring the cream cheese to room temperature then drain and finely chop the jalapenos.
Unroll the crescent dough and carefully spread the cream cheese over the entire dough surface. Scatter the shredded cheese on top then add the jalapeno and bacon.
Slice the dough (a pizza cutter works well) into about 1″ strips then cut those strips into thirds.
Working one at a time, add one sausage link to the cut strip and roll, pressing to seal them. Transfer the popper to the baking sheet seam side down. Continue until they’re all rolled.
Just before baking . . .
Prepare the egg wash by whisking the egg and water together. Lightly brush the top and sides of each one then sprinkle with a little coarse salt over the top. Bake 10-13 minutes or until golden brown and serve warm.
If you make this Jalapeno Popper recipe or any other on the blog then I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating!
Jalapeno Popper Pigs in a Blanket
- 1 package Crescent dough sheet crescent rolls are fine, just seal the perforations
- 14 ounce package mini smoked cocktail sausages
- 1/4 cup jalapeno from the jar drained and finely chopped (or more to taste)
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temp
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup bacon bits or 3 slices of bacon cooked until crisp and crumbled
- 1 egg + 2 tablespoons water (egg wash)
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- Parchment paper optional but makes cleanup easier
- Parchment paper (optional but makes cleanup easier)
- Preheat the oven to 375° then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring the cream cheese to room temperature then drain and finely chop the jalapenos.
- Unroll the crescent dough then carefully spread the cream cheese over the dough covering the entire surface. Scatter the shredded cheese over the top of the dough then top with jalapeno and bacon bits.
- Slice the dough (I used a pizza cutter) into about 1″ strips then cut those strips into thirds.
- Working one at a time, add one smoky link to the cut strip and roll. Transfer the Jalapeno Popper Pigs in a Blanket to the baking sheet seam side down and continue until they’re all rolled.
- Prepare the egg wash by whisking the egg and water together. Lightly brush the top and sides of each one then sprinkle with a little coarse salt over the top. Bake 10-13 minutes or until golden brown and serve warm.