Easy 30 Minute Chicken Fajitas ~ tequila-lime marinated chicken seared and served up with caramelized vegetables. Grill or sauté the whole meal in one skillet indoors.
Today started as many do in our house with my husband asking shortly after breakfast, “what’s for dinner?”. When I said Margarita Chicken Fajitas he asked, “well, is it chicken or a margarita?” Everyone loves a comedian.
This tequila-lime marinated has deep, rich delicious flavor but because it comes together in 30 minutes, it’s an ideal weeknight meal.
If you make margaritas at home, chances are you may already have the ingredients for this marinade: tequila, citrus juices and a few everyday spices.
I sautéed the Margarita Chicken Fajitas in a skillet on top of the stove, but if it’s warm where you are, the recipe easily converts to the grill.
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- grapefruit juice
- lime (juiced)
- chili powder
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- bell peppers
- flour tortillas
How to make Margarita Chicken Fajitas:
Pound or slice the chicken breasts to an even thickness. This is my best tip for juicy, perfectly cooked chicken.
Combine the marinade ingredients: tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, olive oil and garlic powder in a zip top bag then add the chicken, moving it around until it’s completely coated. Marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour or up to overnight for best flavor.
Slice the veggies on the thicker side so they don’t disappear when they’re cooked. Large bell peppers or mini bell peppers (shown) can be used).
Drain the marinade, shaking any excess liquid from the chicken then generously season both sides with salt and pepper.
Cooking it all in one skillet:
Add about 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive (or vegetable) oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, carefully place the chicken breasts in the skillet, letting them cook 5 minutes on the first side without touching them. This part is important for a nice sear.
After 5 minutes, turn the chicken over then continue cooking another 3-4 minutes on the other side or until it’s cooked through then transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
Add the sliced peppers and onions to the same skillet (don’t wash after the chicken), season with salt and pepper then cook over medium to medium-high heat until they’re tender and starting to brown on the edges.
Slice the chicken then return it to the skillet, combining it with the vegetables. Simmer over low heat just a couple of minutes to rewarm the chicken.
If you tried this Margarita Chicken Fajita recipe or any other on the blog, I’d love a comment or star rating in the recipe box.
Margarita Chicken Fajitas
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + more for cooking
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 bell peppers (any color) or mini bell peppers
- 1 large onion
- 4-6 flour tortillas
- Toppings of your choice: salsa, sour cream, guacamole, jalapeno peppers
- Pound or slice the chicken breasts to an even thickness.
- Combine the marinade ingredients: tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, olive oil and garlic powder in a zip top bag then add the chicken, moving around to coat. Marinate 1 hour up to overnight for best flavor.
- Drain the marinade, shaking any excess from the chicken then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive or vegetable oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken. Cook 5 minutes on the first side (without touching them) then turn and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Add the sliced onion and peppers to the same skillet. Season with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until they're tender and the edges starting to brown.
- Slice the chicken then return it to the skillet with the vegetables. Combine and simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with tortillas and your favorite fajita toppings.