Mediterranean Baked Fish pan seared then oven roasted with fresh cherry tomatoes, olives and capers in a zesty lemon-herb white wine sauce. A delicious, simple healthy meal in just 20 minutes.
If you’ve been following along for a while you may wonder where the gooey melted cheese is that I typically favor.
Today celebrating 7 years in business, I’m stepping out of my comfort zone with this Mediterranean Baked Fish.
It combines two of my favorites: fresh seafood and the flavors of the Mediterranean. It’s an easy, healthy dinner you can enjoy any night of the week because it comes together in a snap.
Simple, fresh ingredients and not a shred or crumble of cheese, melted or otherwise. I don’t even miss it.
Mild white fish is quick pan-seared then oven roasted along with fresh cherry tomatoes, sliced olives and capers in zesty, irrestible lemon-herb white wine sauce.
WHAT KIND OF FISH IS BEST IN THIS RECIPE?
I used cod in this recipe but haddock, halibut or even sea bass would be delicious. Thicker filets work better because you’re pan searing the fish then baking so I don’t recommend thinner Tilapia fillets.
WHAT’S IN MEDITERRANEAN BAKED FISH:
- mild white fish fillets
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- lemon (juice and zest)
- cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- grated garlic cloves
- fresh dill
- sliced olives (blend of kalamata and green olives used)
- dry white wine
HOW TO MAKE MEDITERRANEAN BAKED FISH:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
To a small bowl, melt 1 tablespoon of butter then add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest from HALF of one lemon, grated garlic, finely choppd dill and wine. Stir to combine then set aside.
Pat the fish dry using paper towels then season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large, oven-safe skillet over medium to medium-high heat swirling the skillet so the oil coats the bottom evenly.
Once the oil is hot (not smoking), carefully add the fish to the skillet and cook undisturbed 2-3 minutes or until it starts to caramelize then turn it over.
Scatter halved tomatoes, olives and capers around the sides of the fish then remove from the heat source and pour the reserved olive oil mixture over the top of the fish and vegetables.
Bake 8-12 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove from the oven and serve right away.
NOTE: if you aren’t using an oven safe skillet, sear the fish then transfer it to a casserole dish for baking.
What to serve with Mediterranean Baked Fish:
Orzo, brown rice, white rice, or even cauliflower rice would be delicious with this dish (make while the fish cooks). Drizzle the roasted pan sauce over the rice.
Green Beans – perfectly cooked to tender-crisp in just 6 minutes without blanching or draining!
Parmesan Risotto – easy recipe for a classic dish with almost NO stirring! Ready in under 30 minutes.
2 Ingredient Homemade Bread – NO YEAST – just Greek yogurt and flour, Super easy to make in minutes for bread, dinner rolls, bagels, breadsticks, pizza, naan and more.
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes – my favorite way to make baked potatoes for crispy skin outside, fluffy soft potato inside.
HOW LONG TO COOK THE FISH:
For best results obviously don’t overcook the fish. Fish fillets come in different sizes and shapes and ovens bake differently. Use the time (8-12 minutes) as a guide but keep an eye on the fish and remove it from the oven as soon as it flakes easily.
VARIATIONS TO THE RECIPE:
This recipe is delicious as is but if you’re looking for some ideas to change it up a bit, try adding one or two of the suggestions below:
- Green olives
- Kalamata olives
- Parmesan cheese
- Feta cheese
- Marinated artichoke hearts
- Sliced red onion
- Fresh thyme leaves (in place of dill)
LOOKING FOR OTHER GREEK/MEDITERRANEAN INSPIRED RECIPES?
Tzatziki – authentic Greek recipe Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon and dill. Fresh, healthy dip or sauce with pita bread, vegetables, chicken, meat and seafood.
Hummus – NO tahini needed – easy, 10 minute recipe. Creamy with garlic-lemon flavor and just 6 ingredients.
Greek Stuffed Peppers – ground turkey, orzo, feta cheese, spinach and chickpeas baked in bell peppers in a Greek inspired tomato-herb sauce.
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup – chicken, orzo, carrots, spinach and fresh herbs in a light, lemony broth. Delicious, comforting soup in under 30 minutes.
Greek Nachos – a fun twitst on a classic! Warm toasted pita bread, seasoned chicken, vegetables, feta, hummus, tzatziki, roasted chickpeas and Kalamata olives.
If you made this healthy Mediterranean Baked Fish Recipe or any other on the blog then I hope you’ll leave a comment or some stars below.
Mediterranean Baked Fish
- 1 pound mild white fish fillets cod used; see post for options - thicker fillets work best
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 half lemon juice and zest
- 1 1/2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes halves
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons capers or more to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced olives kalamata, green or combination
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- To a small bowl, melt 1 tablespoon of butter then add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, lemon juice and zest from HALF of one lemon, grated garlic, finely choppd dill and wine. Stir to combine then set aside.
- Pat the fish dry using paper towels then season with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large, oven-safe skillet over medium to medium-high heat swirling the skillet so the oil coats the bottom evenly. NOTE: if you don't have an oven safe skillet, sear in any skillet then transfer fish to a baking dish for the baking portion of the recipe.
- Once the oil is hot (not smoking), carefully add the fish to the skillet and cook undisturbed 2-3 minutes or until it starts to caramelize then turn it over.
- Scatter halved tomatoes, capers and (optional) olives around the fish in the skillet then remove from the heat source and pour the reserved olive oil mixture over the top of the fish and vegetables.
- Bake 8-12 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove from the oven and serve right away.