For most people the start of the new year is marked by the ball dropping in Times Square but for some of us, it begins in early September ~ the start of the school year. First day of school pictures taken in the driveway, wearing new outfits and shoes yet to be broken in, anxiously waiting for the bus to come. It’s an exciting time but hectic at the same time. Not to worry. The crew at #SundaySupper has you covered for back-to-school lunches, after school snacks and quick and easy meals like this One Pot Bacon-Cheeseburger Pasta for those busy nights when getting dinner on the table seems like a pipe dream.
Wasn’t it just 5 minutes ago school let out and dinner meant juicy burgers hot off the grill, cheese oozing down the side and maybe an ear or two of corn? This One Pot Bacon-Cheeseburger Pasta has everything our family likes in a smoky, grilled cheeseburger — hearty ground beef, ketchup, mustard, bacon, lettuce, tomato and even pasta and Smoked Gouda cheese your family will love. Because everything is cooked in one pot clean-up is so easy your kids may even fight over who gets to wash that pot . . .okay, maybe not, but one can dream, right?
Drizzle a little olive oil into a dutch oven or stock pot and warm over medium-high heat. Drop in the ground round in one slab. Let it sear a few minutes until it start to caramelize then turn it over and do the same on the other side. This little trick really add flavor.
Next drop in the onion and saute a couple of minutes while breaking up the meat with a golden spoon. Give it a good seasoning with salt and pepper and cook until the meat is browned. If you have excess great, drain it off, then stir in tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes.
Pour in the can of diced tomatoes with its juice, tomato sauce, ketchup and mustard. Give it all a good stir until it’s blended, then add the beef broth and uncooked pasta. Put a lid on, bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and continue cooking 8-10 minutes (per directions on pasta box) or until the pasta is al dente. If you find the mixture is getting too thick and the pasta isn’t finished cooking yet, add the remaining 1/2 cup of beef broth.
When the pasta is al dente, remove the pot from the stove and blend in the cream cheese and one cup of the Smoked Gouda cheese, stirring until combined. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as desired. Sprinkle the remaining Smoked Gouda over the top and broil 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Add the bacon and continue broiling another minute or so to crisp the bacon. Garnish with lettuce and tomato just prior to serving.
Enjoy this easy, any-night hearty One Pot Bacon-Cheeseburger Pasta and while you’re at it, check out some other amazing #SundaySupper recipes below:
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 - small onion, chopped
- 1 - pound of ground round
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 - T tomato paste
- 3 - T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 - 14 oz. can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 - 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 C ketchup
- 3 T yellow mustard
- 2 1/2 - 3 C beef broth
- 12 oz. box of shell pasta (uncooked)
- 3 - T fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 C smoked Gouda, grated
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 C REAL bacon bits (more if you desire)
- 3/4 C shredded lettuce
- Drizzle olive oil into a dutch oven or stock pot and warm over medium heat. Add the onion and cook 2-3 minutes. Drop in the ground round and break up/crumble with a spatula. Season with salt and pepper and cook until browned. Drain off grease. Stir in tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce and continue cooking 2-3 minutes.
- Next blend in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, ketchup and mustard.
- Add 2 1/2 C of the beef broth, stirring to combine, then (uncooked) pasta.
- Cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue cooking 8-10 minutes (per directions on pasta box) or until the pasta is al dente. Note: if the mixture is getting too thick and the pasta isn't finished cooking, add the remaining 1/2 C of beef broth.
- When the pasta is finished cooking, remove from heat and blend in the cream cheese and ONE cup of the Gouda cheese, stirring until combined. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as desired.
- Sprinkle the remaining ONE cup of Gouda cheese over the top. Broil 2-3 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Add the bacon and continue broiling another minute or so to crisp the bacon.
- Garnish with lettuce and tomato just prior to serving.
Getting Started On School Days
- Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins by Caroline’s Cooking
- Caramel Apple Granola by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Coconut Granola Bars by Ruffles & Truffles
- Cinnamon Chocolate Overnight Oats by Whole Food | Real Families
- Homemade English Muffins by Busy-at-Home
- Funfetti French Toast by Brunch with Joy
- PB&J Muffins by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Ideas for the Lunchbox
- Healthy Lunchbox Snack Mix by Noshing With The Nolands
- Mini Pepperoni Calzones by The Redhead Baker
- Rotisserie Chicken Salad on Croissants by Feed Me, Seymour
- Turkey Bacon Ranch Wrap by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
After School Snacks and Beverages
- Back to School Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Fruit ‘n Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- Healthy Blueberry Peach Oat Bars by Simply Healthy Family
- Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits by An Appealing Plan
- Mocha Chocolate Chip Brownies by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mother’s Ruin Punch by Food Lust People Love
- “Nut Butter” Rice Crispy Balls by Books n’ Cooks
- Parmesan Crisps Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Monkey Bread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Apple Nachos by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Peanut Butter-Nutella Sandwich Cookies by Eat Picks
- Waffle Pizzas by Our Good Life
School Night Suppers
- Beef Peppers and Onions Burritos by Family Foodie
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich by Cooking Chat
- One Pot Bacon-Cheeseburger Pasta by A Gouda Life
- Oven Fried Portabello Mushroom Fries by Food Done Light
- Peanut Chicken Cutlets by Magnolia Days
- Smoked Salmon Ravioli with Cream Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Turmeric Chicken and Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Sweets to End the Day
- Devil’s Food Cupcakes with Chocolate Chip Buttercream by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Gluten-Free Almond Joy Cupcakes by NinjaBaker
- Lunchbox Flapjacks by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- M&M Chocolate Chunk Cookies by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Oreo Rice Krispy Treats by The Crumby Cupcake
- Paleo Cherry Blondies by Pies and Plots
- Plum Crumble Bars by Feeding Big
- Stuffed Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Itâ€™s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.