One Pot Chicken Alfredo Pasta ~ tender pasta blanketed in creamy Alfredo sauce with bites of juicy chicken. Cooks completely in ONE POT in under 30 minutes.
We’ve all been cooking WAY more than we ever thought we would over the last several months. It’s a crazy time right now.
I’m not saying this easy recipe will cure all that’s going on in the world today, but sometimes simple, nourishing comfort is a good thing we all deserve. Enter: One Pot Chicken Alfredo Pasta that not only ups your pasta game but is ready in just 30 minutes and friends – flavor like this does not – cannot – come out of a jar.
In my house, cooler temps mean more comfort foods like pasta and pretty much anything covered in gravy. With many still working from home and juggling busy lives, this recipe is just what’s needed. Quick and easy … one pot – let’s get started.
Let’s talk cheese:
I recommend leaving that green can of powdered cheese in the fridge for another time. Good quality cheese will make the best Alfredo Sauce and freshly grated cheese melts better than pre-grated in sauces.
That said, I get it – there are days no one has time to grate the damn cheese so on those days I buy pre-grated parmesan cheese usually found in the deli area in see-through tubs. It’s fresh, better quality and doesn’t have the additives of the green can that can prevent the sauce from being really creamy.
What’s in one pot chicken alfredo pasta?
- boneless chicken breasts cut in bite size pieces
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- garlic cloves
- chicken stock
- milk (2% used; may sub whole milk)
- heavy cream
- dry uncooked pasta
- parmesan cheese
how to make chicken alfredo pasta:
Drizzle the olive oil and add the butter to a deep skillet or pot over medium to medium-high heat.
Add the cut, bite size pieces of chicken to the pot and season with salt and pepper to taste. Leave the chicken in place without moving for 2 minutes letting it sear then turn the pieces over and continue until they’re cooked through and remove from the skillet.
In the same skillet reduce the heat to low then add the grated garlic, chicken stock, milk, heavy cream, 1 teaspoon of salt and the dry (uncooked) pasta.
Cover, bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer with a light boil for 10-14 minutes or until the pasta is al dente stirring occasionally so the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the skillet.
Return the chicken to the pot, fold in the chopped parsley then give it all a good stir. Taste and adjust salt as needed then serve right away with extra parmesan cheese at the table.
what to eat with chicken alfredo pasta:
There are times I
want need a carb-on-carb meal and for those times I recommend good homemade bread. Two-Ingredient bread whips up quickly with just plain Greek yogurt and flour and can be made into dinner rolls, naan bread, breadsticks, pizza dough or even bagels!
Old style Beer Bread is another easy, no yeast recipe my family loves.
Green Beans are really delicious with this recipe. They’re lighter than bread and their buttery flavor goes really well with the Alfredo. Plus they cook in just 6 minutes!
Substitutions and Additions:
Cream vs Milk: If you’re out of heavy cream or looking to lighten the recipe a bit you can substitute half and half or whole milk. You can even use entirely whole milk but the sauce won’t be as creamy.
Meatless: For a meatless option, leave the chicken out entirely!
Seafood: Shrimp can be used instead of chicken and would be tasty coated in Alfredo Sauce.
Pasta options: You can definitely use classic fettucine noodles. I like the ease of short pasta in this recipe because it fits really well in the skillet. Fettucine will need extra stirring to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the skillet. Also – make sure whatever pasta you’re using is submerged in the cooking liquid.
Vegetables: What to ramp up the veggies? Sautéed 4-6 ounces of fresh mushrooms cooked with the chicken would be a great addition. You can even wilt in a big handful of rough chopped fresh spinach (or both!).
If you tried this One Pot Chicken Alfredo Pasta recipe or any other on the blog then I hope you’ll leave a comment and some stars!
One Pot Chicken Alfredo Pasta
- 3/4 to 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk 2% used; may use whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces short pasta dry, uncooked (see post for pasta options)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Drizzle the olive oil and add the butter to a deep skillet or pot over medium to medium-high heat then add the bite size chicken pieces to the hot skillet.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste then leave the chicken in place without moving for 2 minutes letting the chicken sear. Turn the pieces over and continue until they’re cooked through and remove from the skillet.
- In the same skillet (don't wash it!) reduce the heat to low then add the grated garlic, chicken stock, milk, heavy cream, 1 teaspoon of salt and the dry (uncooked) pasta.
- Cover, bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer with a light boil for 10-14 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. Stir occasionally so the pasta doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Return the chicken to the pot, fold in the chopped parsley then stir. Taste and adjust salt as needed then serve right away with extra parmesan cheese at the table.