Pickled Red Onions ~ easy and quick to make ~ this bright, zesty condiment is delicious on salads, burgers, hot dogs and even tacos.
My daughter has been raving about a salad she’s gotten hooked on from Panera. It doesn’t have either of my favorite salad ingredients, bread or pasta; but she said what makes it so good is the Green Goddess Dressing and Pickled Red Onions.
I ate my fill of Green Goddess Dressing in the ‘70’s when I rocked hip-hugging bell bottoms jeans, but the Pickled Red Onions definitely had my attention.
Pickled ~ anything ~ is just so darn good especially these 5 Minute Refrigerator Dill Pickles! Okay, almost anything is good pickled, but not pickled eggs in oversize jars you see sometimes in sports bars. But you can pickle a lot of other foods you want to add bright, zesty flavor to.
Pickled Red Onions are both quick and easy to make and loaded with flavor. I added some to this batch of Greek Pasta Salad that’ll be on the blog soon and though I don’t normally add onions to my hot dogs, I discovered my new favorite condiment this season.
Pickled Red Onions Ingredients:
- red onion sliced thin
- red wine vinegar
- warm tap water
- granulated sugar
- fresh dill
- several small or one large Mason jar for storage
Remove the peel from the onion then slice it as thinly and evenly as possible, separating the rings.
In a bowl whisk together the red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, warm tap water and peppercorns until the sugar and salt have dissolved. This is the brine for pickling the onions.
Add the onions to the Mason jars. I prefer several smaller jars so I can share the onions, but one large jar is fine, too.
Ladle the brine over the onions making sure easy jar has a few peppercorns. Give it a gentle stir then add a sprig of fresh dill to the top of each jar.
Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours before eating so they’re able to absorb the flavors. They’ll keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
If you make these Pickled Red Onions I’d love to hear from you with a star rating in the recipe box or comment below.
Pickled Red Onions
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ cup warm tap water
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 3-4 sprigs fresh dill
- Mason Jars
- Peel then slice the onions as thinly and evenly as possible.
- In a bowl whisk together the red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, warm tap water and peppercorns, stirring until the salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Add the onions to the Mason jar(s).
- Ladle the brine over the onions making sure easy jar has a few peppercorns. Give it a gentle stir then add a sprig of fresh dill to the top of each jar.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours before eating and eat over the next 2-3 weeks.