Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken ~ easy 4 ingredient juicy, bold flavored shredded chicken for tacos, burritos or salads preps in just 5 minutes and simmers in the crockpot.One of my New Year’s resolutions was to become better organized. I’m already teetering on the brink of failure, like a toddler in mama’s high heels.
Thanks to my disorganization, I realized I had multiple packages of boneless chicken in the freezer. I started thinking about how to use it. This Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken topped the list.
Four ingredients + 5 minutes = the most incredibly juicy, bold-flavored chipotle chicken with an aroma that’ll practically bring you to your knees.
Oops, I just broke my second New Year’s resolution which is to stop describing food in unrealistic terms like amaaazing and life changing.
So maybe this chicken won’t bring you to your knees (but hey, maybe it will!); either way it’s a crowd pleaser.
It makes weeknight dinners or entertaining stress-free and if you’re having a crowd for Super Bowl, a self-serve taco bar is almost like having a home chef. There I go again.
Seriously though, you won’t miss a single play, ad or halftime show because your taco bar will be ready for guests to help themselves whenever they’re hungry. Use your favorite jar salsa but don’t skip the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. They add some nice heat, smokiness and deep, rich flavor.
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- your favorite jar salsa
- canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- fresh lime
Trim the raw chicken breasts then add them to the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
Pour about a cup of your favorite jar salsa over the top, scatter some chopped chipotle peppers plus about a tablespoon of adobo sauce then add a squeeze of lime juice.
NOTE: One chipotle pepper and about a tablespoon of its juice is a good amount of heat, but if you like things extra spicy, add a second pepper.
Cover the slow cooker then let it do its work ~ 4 hours on high OR 6-8 hours on low then using 2 forks shred the chicken while it’s still in the slow cooker and blend it together with the juices.
How do I serve this Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken?
Load flour tortillas or crunchy shells with Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken then add your favorite toppings:
- sharp cheese
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- avocado or guacamole
- sour cream
Here’s another favorite ⇑ ~ extra cheesy baked burritos smothered in a simple green chile sauce that whips up in under 10 minutes. I’ll share the full recipe another day.
Do Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken leftovers keep?
Yes! Store any leftover chicken in an airtight container up to 4 days in the fridge or in the freezer up to 3o days.
This recipe preps in 5 minutes to save time in the morning load all the ingredients in the slow cooker the night before then stick it in the fridge.
The next morning take out, plug it in and set the time. Need more slow cooker chicken recipes for your arsenal? CLICK here!
If you tried this Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken recipe or any other on the blog, then I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating in the recipe box!
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- 1 - 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup jar salsa (your favorite kind)
- 1-2 canned chipotle peppers + 1-2 tablespoons of the juice from the can
- juice from half of one lime
- Trim the raw chicken breasts then add them to the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the salsa over the top of the chicken. Finely mince the chipotle peppers then add along with 1 tablespoon of the juice from the can.
- NOTE: if you like extra spice, add a second chipotle pepper and another tablespoon of juice.
- Squeeze the juice from half of one lime over the top, then cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours OR 6-8 hours on low.
- Using two forks shred the chicken while it’s still in the slow cooker and blend it together with the juices.
- Serve as tacos in flour tortillas or crunchy shells with your favorite toppings or in burritos, salads or bowls.