Sausage Wonton Cups
Sausage Wonton Cups ~ wonton wrappers filled with a delicious cheesy, crumbled sausage blend, baked until crispy and the cheeses melted. The ultimate easiest, tastiest appetizer.
A few years ago my niece brought one of the best appetizers I’ve ever eaten to a family gathering. I wasn’t the only one who ate more than their share. They disappeared in minutes!
Some appetizers are more geared toward women, while others are more to the guys‘ liking. Sausage Wonton Cups ~ mini wonton cups filled with a cheesy, crumbled sausage blend then topped with more cheese are hearty, delicious and an all around crowd pleaser.
My niece went home with an empty tray and bragging rights for the best appetizer.
I was instantly a huge fan of Sausage Wonton Cups and loved the idea of filling these little cups with different ingredients. They’re the inspiration for both my Reuben Wontons and Taco Cupcakes. Given enough time, I’ll probably figure out a few more things to fill them with.
To make entertaining easier, make the sausage filling the day before then fill and bake the day of the party. Any leftover wonton wrappers can be frozen.
Sausage Wonton Cups Ingredients:
- pork breakfast sausage
- ground cumin
- ground cayenne
- sharp cheddar cheese OR shredded pepperjack cheese (for a spicier filling)
- cream cheese
- wonton wrappers
- Optional garnish: green onions
- Cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees then in a medium skillet combine the sausage, cumin and cayenne, cooking over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spoon or spatula.
** If you want these cups to pack more heat use pepperjack cheese. For a milder flavor use sharp cheddar and leave out the cayenne. **
Remove the skillet from the heat and fold in the cream cheese and 1 cup of shredded cheese.
Lightly spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Gently press the wonton wrappers into the muffin pan forming the cups. Make sure there’s enough opening for the filling, then spray the wonton cups with cooking spray.
Tip: The cooking spray helps make the cups crispy.
Divide the sausage mixture between the cups then top with the remaining ¼ cup of cheese.
Bake 10 minutes or until the wonton wrappers are lightly browned then garnish with thinly sliced green onions.
If you tried this recipe or any other on the blog, don’t forget to leave a comment or star rating ~ I love hearing from you!
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 ¼ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese OR shredded pepper jack cheese divided
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 24 wonton wrappers
- Optional garnish: green onions or parsley
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium skillet combine the sausage, cumin and red pepper, cooking over medium heat until the sausage is browned and cooked through, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Fold in the cream cheese and 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Lightly spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Gently press the wonton wrappers into the muffin pan forming the cups, then spray the cups with cooking spray.
- Divide the sausage mixture between the cups and top with the remaining ¼ cup of cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes or until the wonton wrappers are lightly browned then garnish with thinly sliced green onions or chopped parsley. Serve hot.