Cheesy Sausage Wonton Cups ~ the BEST appetizer at the party! Bite size wonton cups filled with ground sausage and spicy cheese, baked until crisp. Watch the VIDEO and see how easy they are to make!A few years ago my niece brought one of the best appetizers I’ve ever eaten to a family gathering. I wasn’t the only one who ate more than their share (you know who you are). The whole tray disappeared in minutes.
Some appetizers are more geared toward women, while others are more to the guys‘ liking. Cheesy Sausage Wonton Cups start with wonton wrappers formed into cups in a muffin tin, filled with sausage and spicy cheese, baked until crispy.
My niece went home with an empty tray and bragging rights for the best appetizer.
I was instantly a huge fan of these Cheesy Sausage Wonton Cups and loved the idea of filling these little cups with different ingredients. They became the inspiration for both my Reuben Wontons and Taco Cupcakes.
To make entertaining easier, make the sausage filling the day before then refrigerate until just before party time. Then form the cups, fill and bake just before serving. Leftover wonton wrappers can be frozen.
What’s in Cheesy Sausage Wonton Cups:
- pork breakfast sausage
- ground cumin
- ground cayenne
- sharp cheddar cheese OR shredded pepperjack cheese (for a spicier filling)
- cream cheese
- wonton wrappers
- Optional garnish: green onions
- Cooking spray
How to make Cheesy Sausage Wonton Cups:
Preheat the oven to 400° then add the sausage, cumin and cayenne to a medium skillet, cooking over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spoon or spatula.
Next, remove the skillet from the heat and fold in the cream cheese and one cup of the shredded cheese.
Lightly spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray then gently press the wonton wrappers into the muffin pan forming the cups. Make sure there’s enough opening for the filling, then spray the wonton cups with cooking spray to help make the cups crispy.
Divide the sausage mixture between the cups then top with the remaining ¼ cup of shredded cheese.
Bake 10 minutes or until the wonton wrappers are lightly browned then garnish with thinly sliced green onions.
Can I customize the spice level of this appetizer?
Yes. For a milder filling use Cheddar or Montery Jack and leave out the cayenne. For more of a spicy kick, use Pepper Jack cheese.
If you tried this Cheesy Sausage Wonton Cups recipe or any other on the blog, I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating!
Sausage Wonton Cups
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 ¼ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese OR shredded pepper jack cheese divided
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 24 wonton wrappers
- Optional garnish: green onions or parsley
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium skillet combine the sausage, cumin and red pepper, cooking over medium heat until the sausage is browned and cooked through, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Fold in the cream cheese and 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Lightly spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Gently press the wonton wrappers into the muffin pan forming the cups, then spray the cups with cooking spray.
- Divide the sausage mixture between the cups and top with the remaining ¼ cup of cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes or until the wonton wrappers are lightly browned then garnish with thinly sliced green onions or chopped parsley. Serve hot.