Scrambled Egg Casserole – easy recipe loaded with ham, melty cheese and fresh vegetables. Delicious make-ahead breakfast!
This simple make-ahead breakfast or brunch recipe makes breakfast a snap – even if you aren’t a morning person!
Prep ahead, refrigerate and bake in the morning: cheesy scrambled eggs, ham, bell peppers, mushrooms, onions and kale.
Ideal for Mother’s Day, summertime entertaining or anytime you want to feed a crowd easily.
This egg recipe is made from simple ingredients from the grocery store and whips up in minutes.
Use leftover or deli ham (or customize with what you like!) and serve it up with biscuits and jam, fruit, coffee — you get it.
WHAT’S IN A SCRAMBLED EGG CASSEROLE?
For a bigger crowd, double the ingredients for this egg casserole recipe and bake in a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- olive oil
- plain Greek yogurt
- shredded cheddar cheese (or your favorite melty cheese)
- bell pepper
- fresh dill
- salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE A SCRAMBLED EGG CASSEROLE:
Pre heat oven to 350° then butter a baking dish with the 1/2 tablespoon of butter and set aside.
NOTE: this is a smaller batch casserole – good for about an 8×8 or similar oval size baking dish.
Dice the onion, bell pepper, kale and ham then slice the mushrooms and set aside.
Drizzle olive oil into a large skillet over medium heat then add the vegetables. Cook 2-3 minutes or until the onions are softened.
Add the ham, stir to combine and cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat to cool.
To a large bowl add the eggs, milk, greek yogurt, salt pepper and dill then whisk to combine well.
Stir in the ham, vegetables and shredded cheese then pour egg mixture into the prepared baking dish.
MAKE AHEAD INSTRUCTIONS:
To make this egg recipe ahead of time, cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator.
The next morning, bring the casserole to room temp on the counter for 15 minutes then following the baking instructions below.
HOW TO BAKE THE EGG CASSEROLE:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
If your casserole was refrigerated overnight, bring to room temp on the counter for 15 minutes.
Bake uncovered 35-40 minutes until golden brown, eggs are set and a butter knife inserted in the center of the casserole comes out clean.
Remove from the oven, slice and serve.
WHAT TO EAT WITH A SCRAMBLED EGG CASSEROLE:
Any of these easy recipes would go perfectly with this delicious breakfast:
VARIATIONS and subs TO THIS RECIPE:
Pretty much any kind of shredded cheese can be used in this recipe including gouda, pepper jack cheese, parmesan cheese or even crumbled feta.
Check your fridge to see what you already have on hand for next time you make this recipe.
- Add green onions instead of yellow onions.
- Sub sour cream instead of plain Greek yogurt.
- Instead of ham, try turkey sausage or canadian bacon.
- Use spinach instead of kale.
- Add 1 cup of cubed frozen hashbrowns when you saute the vegetables.
WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVER EGG CASSEROLE:
Cool completely then store leftover egg casserole in an airtight container up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
To freeze this egg casserole, cool completely then transfer to a freezer-safe container and store up to 3 months.
SUBSCRIBE here ⇓ for all the latest recipes directly to your email box.
If you tried this Cheesy Scrambled Egg Casserole or any other recipe on the blog, don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating!
Scrambled Egg Casserole
- 1/2 tablespoon butter softened to room temp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 cup bell pepper (any color diced
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 4 ounces fresh mjushrooms sliced
- 1 cup ham diced
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk whatever kind you normally buy
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Pre heat oven to 350° then butter baking dish (approx. 8x8) with the 1/2 tablespoon of butter and set aside.
- Dice the onion, bell pepper, kale and ham. Slice the mushrooms.
- Drizzle olive oil into large skillet over medium heat. Add vegetables. Cook 2-3 minutes or until the onions are softened.
- Add the ham, stir to combine and cook 1 minute then remove from the heat to cool.
- To a large bowl add the eggs, milk, greek yogurt, salt pepper and dill then whisk to combine.
- Stir in the ham, vegetables and cheese then pour egg mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake uncovered 35-40 minutes in the 350 degree preheated oven until the eggs are set, cheese is meltyand a butter knife inserted in the center of the casserole comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, slice and serve.
MAKE AHEAD OPTION:
- To make ahead of time, cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator before baking.
- Bring the casserole to room temp on the counter for 15 minutes then bake per instructions.