Slow Cooker Applesauce ~ easy homemade 4 ingredient applesauce. Make it just as you like – chunky or smooth. Using a variety of sweet and tart apples, this recipe is the best!Whether you call it a slow cooker or a crockpot, this is the easiest way to make the BEST homemade applesauce.
Not that we’ve transitioned from bathing suits to sweaters and cute boots next up is trips to the cider mill for warm donuts and crisp cool apple cider and fresh apples.
If you’re looking for a simple and over the top delicious side dish for your holiday gathering, this easy Slow Cooker Applesauce is it. It can be made a day or two ahead of time before but even the day of, it won’t take up precious space on the stovetop or oven.
But don’t think it’s just for entertaining. With just a few minutes prep you can eat it anytime!
Chunky or smooth – there’s no wrong way to do it. Once watch the video and see how to make applesauce in the slow cooker you may never buy from the store again.
What’s in this Slow Cooker Applesauce?
- apples (Gala and Granny Smith used/see below for options)
- lemon juice
- light brown sugar
How to make Slow Cooker Applesauce:
Peel, core and slice the apples into similar size then add to the slow cooker.
Top with the lemon juice, brown sugar and cinnamon then pour the water over the top and lightly stir.
Cover and simmer 3 1/2 to 4 hours on high.
- A little lemon juice brings out even more of the delicious flavor of the apples.
- Brown sugar was used instead of white because its caramelized flavor best compliments the apples.
- If you want to leave the sugar out completely, omit Granny Smith apples and use all sweet variety.
Chunky or smooth?
Either is delicious. I like my applesauce a little chunkier and if that’s you too, a light stir when it’s finished cooking will get you there.
If you’re looking for a smooth consistency, give it a vigorous stir with a wire whisk or a few pulses with an immersion blender.
Allow the applesauce to cool completely then place in sealed containers and store in the refrigerator.
What apples make the best applesauce?
Because some apples are sweet and some are tangy, the best tasting applesauce comes from a combination of 2-3 varieties. For this recipes, I used Granny Smith (super tart) and Gala (sweet).
Other sweet apple options would be Fuji, Honeycrisp, Braeburn, Jonagold or Golden Delicious.
Are there any apples I shouldn’t use for applesauce?
I don’t recommend McIntosh apples because they cook down easily and your applesauce will be more watery. Red Delicious are better for snacking, not cooking.
How long does homemade applesauce last?
This applesauce with be good in the refrigerator for 7-10 days in a sealed container.
Can you freeze slow cooker applesauce?
Yes – to freeze applesauce, transfer it to freezer safe containers or zip top bags, removing as much air as possible, and freeze for up to 3 months.
Should applesauce be served warm or cold?
There’s no wrong answer here. It’s personal preference. I like warm applesauce because it reminds me of fresh baked apple pie, but the choice is yours!
What do I eat with applesauce?
If you tried this Slow Cooker Applesauce recipe or any other on the blog then I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating!
Slow Cooker Applesauce
- 6 medium apples Gala + Granny Smith used
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- Peel, core and slice the apples into similar sizes then add to the slow cooker.
- Top with the lemon juice, brown sugar and cinnamon then pour the water over the top and lightly stir.
- Cover and simmer 3 1/2 to 4 hours on high.
- For chunkier applesauce, stir lightly. For a smooth consistency applesauce, vigorously stir with a wire whisk or pulse several times with an immersion blender.