Slow Cooker Glazed Carrots ~ sliced carrots slow cooked with a delicious brown butter honey glaze. This easy side dish is perfect for weeknights, elevated enough for holidays!
Every family has a picky eater – mine is no exception. So when I tell you that even the pickiest of eaters will love these Slow Cooker Glazed Carrots, I know what I’m talking about.
This recipe is a take on another recipe that’s flying off the shelves, oven roasted Brown Butter Honey Glazed Carrots but because I’ve had so many requests for a crockpot version, we’re doing it today.
The slow cooker version of the Brown Butter Honey Glazed Carrots is made with the same ingredients as the oven roasted version. Everything is loaded into the slow cooker for about 3 hours and the result is the same tender carrots with the most delicious glaze. Ever.
So why a slow cooker version? Easy – with the holidays coming, we can use all the oven space we can get, amiright?
The parsley garnish is optional but if you’re serving these for a holiday dinner, they add a nice pop of color.
What’s in slow cooker glazed carrots?
- fresh thyme
- garlic clove
- fresh parsley
how to make slow cooker glazed carrots:
Peel and slice the carrots into about 1 1/2″ chunks then add them to the slow cooker.
Making the brown butter:
NOTE: the brown butter can be made up to one day ahead of time and refrigerated. When you’re ready to use it, microwave a few seconds until it’s melted to use in the recipe.
Cut the butter into pieces then add it to a large skillet over medium heat. Stir slowly allowing it to melt evenly. You’ll see the melted butter start to foam ~ keep stirring and watch it closely so it doesn’t burn.
The foam will subside and you’ll notice a nutty aroma and light golden color. When the brown butter is finished, remove the skillet from the heat then stir in the honey, finely chopped thyme, grated garlic and salt.
Add to the carrots:
Pour the brown butter mixture over the carrots in the slow cooker, give it a good stir to make sure all the carrots are coated then cook on HIGH for 3 hours or until the carrots are fork tender.
At this point you can serve the carrots just as they are, but I like to thicken the glaze a little. To do this, remove the cover of the slow cooker and continue cooking the carrots 12-14 more minutes then give them a good stir, (optional) garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve with a drizzle of the glaze over the top.
Can I substitute baby carrots?
Yes. Baby carrots are a great substitution – saves time spent chopping! Leave the baby carrots whole then follow the rest of the recipe.
What goes with glazed carrots?
So many things, starting with your holiday turkey! Here are a few other ideas:
Honey Balsamic Pork Tenderloin – just 20 minutes to juicy flavor-loaded sweet-savory glazed pork made all in one pan.
Air Fryer Chicken Tenders – buttermilk air fried chicken that’s crispy outside, juicy inside and cooks in under 15 minutes!
Apricot Glazed Pork Tenderloin – oven roasted, moist juicy pork glazed in an apricot Dijon mustard sauce. Sweet meets savory for a delicious pork perfection in just 30 minutes!
If you tried this Slow Cooker Glazed Carrots recipe or any other on the blog then I hope you’ll leave a comment and some stars!
Slow Cooker Glazed Carrots
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds carrots sliced 1 1/2 to 2" chunks
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped (optional garnish)
- Peel and slice the carrots then add them to the slow cooker.
Making the brown butter:
- TIP: brown butter cooks really quickly so it's helpful to have all the ingredients prepped, chopped and ready before you start cooking the butter.
- Cut the butter into pieces then add to a large skillet over medium heat. Stir slowly allowing it to melt evenly.. You’ll see the melted butter start to foam ~ keep stirring, watching closely.
- The foam will subside and you’ll notice a nutty aroma and light golden color.
- When the brown butter is finished, remove it from the heat and blend in the honey, finely chopped thyme, grated garlic and salt then stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture over the carrots in the slow cooker, give it all a good stir making sure all the carrots are coated then cook on HIGH for 3 hours or until the carrots are fork tender.
- OPTIONAL: For a thicker glaze remove the cover of the slow cooker and continue cooking the carrots 12-14 more minutes. Stir and (optional) garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve with a drizzle of glaze over the top.