Smoked Gouda Mashed Potatoes
Mashed Potatoes ~ creamy, buttery bursting with smoked Gouda cheese flavor. The ultimate side dish for the holidays.
For a foodie, it doesn’t get much better than the Wine and Food Festival in Epcot at Walt Disney World but if you think it’s nothing but ‘park food’, think again.
Disney rolled out a foodie’s red carpet as only Disney can do. Inspiration was everywhere. We paced ourselves sampling so many delicious dishes but still weren’t able to taste everything we wanted to. I guess that’s the best reason to go back.
My favorite dish was lick-your-plate good: Smoked Gouda Mashed Potatoes that served as a base for fork-tender, Beer Braised Beef served in ‘Belgium’. When I got home I couldn’t wait to make both.
We were only in Orlando for a couple of days to take in the festival but made time to power through the other parks as well including the Tower of Terror ride!
I *may* have needed Tums afterward, but I’ll spare you the details. You’re here for these creamy ~ dreamy ~ smoked Gouda cheese mashed potatoes so here’s the ingredient list:
SMOKED GOUDA MASHED POTATOES INGREDIENTS:
- Yukon gold potatoes cubed
- Kosher salt
- Half and half
- Smoked Gouda cheese shredded
- Fresh Italian parsley
- (optional) extra butter for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
Peel and cut the potatoes then add them to a large pot of cold water. Once the water comes to a boil, salt the potatoes (about a tablespoon) and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook about 12-15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Drain the potatoes then return them to the pot over very low heat for a couple minutes. This lets the potatoes dry completely so they aren’t gummy.
Rough mash the potatoes then make a well in the center of the pot. Add the butter and half and half and mash until they’re smooth. Stir in the cheese and parsley then give it a good seasoning of salt and pepper to taste. If you’d like, add a pat of butter on top for garnish then serve right away.
Do we share a love of everything potato? If so, be sure to try the most popular recipe on the blog ~ classic, old fashioned Potato Salad ~the perfect cold side dish.
If you tried this Smoked Gouda Mashed Potatoes recipe or any other on the blog, don’t forget to leave a comment or star rating ~ I love hearing from you!
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes cubed
- Kosher salt to taste
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup half and half
- 1 ¼ cups smoked Gouda cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional extra butter for garnish
- Peel and cut the potatoes then add to a large pot of cold water.
- Once the water comes to a boil, add about 1 tablespoon of salt and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cook about 12-15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander then return them to the pot over very low heat for a couple minutes until they completely dry out.
- Rough mash the potatoes then make a well in the center of the pot. Add the butter and half and half and mash until they’re smooth. Stir in the cheese and parsley then generously season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional garnish: pat of butter