I make a mean ‘Adult’ Grilled Cheese sandwich – prosciutto, goat and couple of other cheeses, a smear of bacon jam, grilled to a beautiful golden, perfect for dunking tomato soup . I’m just not one of those people who routinely creates amazing sandwiches. Until now. This Smoked Salmon BLT is a big high-five, fist-bumping sandwich. It’s everything we crave in a classic Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich – salty Applewood smoked bacon, sliced tomatoes, crispy lettuce and like the Adult Grilled Cheese, this Smoked Salmon BLT is all grown up.
I posted a recipe recently for Chickpea Tomato Cucumber Salad where I practically swore with my hand on a bible to eat healthier after overindulging on vacation (isn’t that the sign of a good one?) .
It started out fine, but my mind quickly went there – you know – gravies, creamy potatoes, rich brownies and BLT’s, but because my mind was still filled with visions of tasty Florida seafood, I decided to ramp up a classic with a little smoked salmon and oh.my.gosh.
The thick cut bacon holds its own against the burst of smoked salmon flavor and to bring it home ~ homemade dill mayonnaise. The only way this Smoked Salmon BLT could be better is with homegrown tomatoes. Summer can’t get here fast enough.
Ingredients for two Smoked Salmon BLT sandwiches:
- 4 slices of thick cut bacon (Applewood smoked was used)
- 4 slices of multigrain bread
- Leaf lettuce
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 3 ounces of smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of dill (fresh or dill can be used/same amount for either)
- Fresh cracked black pepper
Blend the mayonnaise, dill and about 3 turns of fresh-cracked black pepper in a small bowl and refrigerate. Wash the lettuce and slice the tomatoes so you’ll be ready to assemble when the bacon and toast are done.
COOKING THE BACON:
Do you have a designated bacon-cooker in your house? Maybe it’s you. In our house, it’s my husband. He loves bacon and makes it better than anyone else by practicing almost every Sunday with a big homestyle breakfast, so when I need bacon cooked, he’s the man to do it and here are his instructions:
- Start by cutting the bacon strips in half for easier handling and more even cooking.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat then add the bacon.
- Turn the bacon strips to allow them to cook evenly, removing them from the skillet onto a paper towel lined plate before each strip reaches your desired crispness (how crispy you like your bacon is personal preference). The bacon will continue cooking a little bit after it’s removed from the skillet (carry-over cooking).
Next toast the bread and begin assembling the sandwich:
Slather some of the dill mayo on one piece of toast then top with lettuce, tomato, bacon and smoked salmon. (Optional: slather a bit more dill mayo on the other piece of toast).
Smoked Salmon BLT Sandwich
- 4 slices thick cut bacon (Applewood smoked is my favorite)
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- leaf lettuce
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 3 ounces smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dill fresh or dry/same amount
- fresh cracked black pepper 3 turns
- Blend the mayonnaise, dill and about 3 turns of fresh-cracked black pepper in a small bowl and refrigerate.
- Wash the lettuce and slice the tomatoes so you’ll be ready to assemble when the bacon and toast are done.
- Fry the bacon (see description in body of post) and while it's frying, toast the bread.
- Assemble by slathering some of the dill mayo on one piece of toast then top with lettuce, tomato, bacon and smoked salmon. (Optional: slather a bit more dill mayo on the other piece of toast).