It’s been several years since I was introduced to the world of wonton wrappers by my niece and became instantly addicted to her Sausage Wontons – mmmm so darn good. I’ve created several appetizers with wontons since, like Reuben Wontons and Taco Cupcakes. I never get tired of their versatility. They’re the perfect little boat for a food cruise. Today, while I’m excited for the Big Game, I’m really excited for all the great food we’ve come to count on at Big Game parties. These Southwestern Eggroll Cups are totally touchdown worthy, along with so many others below from the #SundaySupper home team that are practically guaranteed to make this party your best Big Game party yet. Southwestern Eggroll Cups have everything you think of when your mind goes Southwestern – chicken, cheese, black beans, corn, bell peppers, lime juice, cilantro and if you can handle the heat ~ jalapeno. They’re perfect any day, but especially for the Big Game when you want the food to be, well…super!
I love egg rolls. What’s not to love? It’s a meal in one neat package. Sometimes my husband and I will get a carryout of eggrolls from our local Chinese restaurant and make a meal out of them. As much as I love them though, they’re fried and I’m finding lately in order to fit into anything with a waistband, I need to use that particular ‘F’ word less frequently. Baked Southwestern Eggroll Cups are crispy, cheesy, spicy ~ everything you want in a game-time appetizer ~ and baked.
So whether you’re hosting a Big Game party, a guest at someone else’s or even quietly (or maybe not so quietly) cheering on your favorite team at home, these Southwestern Eggroll Cups are a must have.
This recipe comes together really quickly with these simple ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Cooking spray
- Wonton wrappers
- Red onion
- Red pepper
- Jalapeno (optional)
- Black beans
- Shredded or finely diced chicken (leftover or rotisserie work great!)
- Spicy Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix (dry package)
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Cream cheese
- Lime juice
. . .and just two ingredients for a delicious sauce to top them:
- Plain Greek yogurt
The filling for these Southwestern Eggroll Cups can be made earlier in the day or even the day before and refrigerated.
Preheat the oven to 400, then drizzle a bit of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the diced onion and bell peppers, sautéing 3-5 minutes over medium heat. If you’re packin’ heat, this is the time to add the jalapeno.
While the veggies sauté lightly spray the bottoms of the mini muffin tins. This helps crisp the wonton wrappers and gives you the illusion of frying. Gently mold the wontons into the muffin tins.
When the veggies are finished cooking, add the corn, beans and chicken to the skillet and blend.
Sprinkle the Spicy Ranch Seasoning over the top and combine.
Squeeze the fresh lime juice into the mix and two of the three tablespoons of cilantro. Lower the heat and add the cream and cheddar cheeses, combining.
Fill the cups. . .
. . .then bake 8-10 minutes or until they’re golden brown.
While the cups are baking, smash the avocado and mix with plain Greek yogurt. Chill until you’re ready for it.
Top each cup with a small dollop of Avocado sauce and a sprinkle of the remaining cilantro. Stand back and watch how quickly they disappear!
Check out all the #SundaySupper recipes below ~ all categories are covered with everything you need to make your Big Game party a success!
Appetizers and Sides
- Atomic Buffalo Turds by Wholistic Woman
- Avocado Egg Rolls by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Bacon Philly Cheesesteak Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Bacon Wrapped Potato Wedges by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Buttermilk Battered Chicken Wings by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cajun Okra Fries by Food Lust People Love
- Cheddar Sausage Balls by Tramplingrose
- Cheesy Crab Canapés by Meal Planning Magic
- Cheesy Sausage Dip by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Chicken Fajita Nachos by Sweet Mornings
- Chipotle-Ranch Chicken Wings by Casa de Crews
- Corn Dog Muffins by Noshing With The Nolands
- Cowboy Caviar by Books n’ Cooks
- Crockpot Bean Dip by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Deep Fried Pimento Cheese and Celery Bites by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
- Dill Pickle Dip by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Fish Taquitos by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Game Day Cheese Board with Baguettes by Delaware Girl Eats
- Gluten Free Asian Sweet Chili Wings by Flippin’ Delicious
- Ham and cheese sliders by Feeding Big
- Healthy Guacamole Recipe by Real Food Real Deals
- Hogs in a blanket by Cooking on the Ranch
- Hot Pork Roll and Cheese Dip by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Jalapeño Popper Mac and Cheese Egg Rolls by From Gate to Plate
- Patatas Pobres for a Crowd by Lydia’s Flexitarian Kitchen
- Pepperoni Pizza Bites by Family Foodie
- Pimento Cheese-Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates by The Healthy Fit Foodie
- Rajas by Pook’s Pantry
- Roasted Broccoli Artichoke Dip by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Thai Wings by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Smoky Blender Salsa by What Smells So Good?
- Southwestern Eggroll Wonton Cups by A Gouda Life
- Southwestern Flatbread with a “Design Your Own Flatbread” Table by The Freshman Cook
- Spicy Szechuan Shrimp Lettuce Cups by Palatable Pastime
- Stuffed Artichokes with Soppressata and Cheese by Mysavoryspoon
- Sweet and Spicy Hummus by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Egg Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Thai Beef Taco Bites by Brunch-n-Bites
- Three Cheese Macaroni Bites by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Waffle Fry Nachos by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders With Tangy Warm Cabbage Slaw by Taste And See
- Big Game Chili by Our Good Life
- Buffalo Chicken Chili by Monica’s Table
- Buffalo Chickpea Spinach Pinwheels by Simply Healthy Family
- Cheeseburger Pizza Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Cheesy Cheesesteaks by Family Around The Table
- Emeril’s Chicken and Andouille Gumbo by The Texan New Yorker
- Handy Beef Buns by Get the Good Stuff
- Lahmacun – Turkish flatbread by Caroline’s Cooking
- Mini Muffaletta Bites by MyGourmetConnection
- Mission Style Burritos by A Well Fed Life
- New Jersey Sloppy Joe by kimchi MOM
- Pizza Pasta Bake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork Italiano Sandwich by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Puerto Rican Pernil (Garlic Roast Pork) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Ree’s Philly Cheesesteaks by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Cheese Bombers by Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Tuna Croquette Sliders with Avocado Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
Desserts and Drinks
- Chocolate Football Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Sugar Chex Mix by Pies and Plots
- Denver Bronco Brew and The Carolina Panther Colada by Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Football Potato Candy by Gluten Free Crumbley
- S’more Poutine by Desserts Required
- Super Duper Peanut Butter Cup Popcorn by Only Taste Matters
- Plus Big Game Party Recipes plus Sausage and Peppers Over Cheesy Grits by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
- Olive oil (drizzle)
- Cooking spray
- 12 - Wonton wrappers
- 1/4 cup of diced red onion
- 1/4 cup of diced red pepper
- 1 - jalapeno, minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup of corn
- 1/2 cup of black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup of cooked chicken, shredded or finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Spicy Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup of cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons of cilantro, finely minced
- 1 - avocado
- 1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drizzle olive oil in a skillet and warm over medium heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and (optional) jalapeno, sautéing 3-5 minutes until peppers are tender.
- While the vegetables sauté lightly spray the bottom of each mini muffin tin.
- Gently mold the wontons into the muffin tins.
- When the vegetables are finished cooking, add the corn, beans and chicken to the skillet and blend.
- Sprinkle the Spicy Ranch Seasoning over the top and combine.
- Lower the heat and blend in the cream and cheddar cheeses.
- Squeeze the lime juice over the top and stir in two of the three tablespoons of cilantro.
- Fill the cups and bake 8-10 minutes or until they’re golden brown.
- While the cups are baking, smash the avocado with a fork.
- Add yogurt and blend.
- Chill a couple of minutes or until you're ready to use.
- Top each eggroll cup with with a small dollop of Avocado sauce and a sprinkle of the remaining cilantro.
- Rotisserie or leftover chicken work really well in this recipe. You can also cook one boneless, skinless chicken breast.
- Recipe easily doubles for a larger crowd.