Ultimate Spicy Chicken Wings ~ lightly breaded, deep fried restaurant style spicy chicken wings.
We already know the recipe to a man’s heart is through his stomach, but which recipe? Easy. It’s almost every man’s go-to meal he eats with cave-man gusto ~ the #1 food he chooses on nights out with the guys when words like whole grain and healthy are strictly taboo ~ Ultimate Spicy Chicken Wings.
Today the kitchen it turned over to Mr. A Gouda Life for the straight scoop on how to do wings right.
If you don’t own a deep fryer, they’re equally good on the stove with a deep pot and a thermometer. The inspiration for this recipe is from Bravado Spice with our own adjustments.
A couple of months ago my husband and I went to the Fabulous Food Show in Cleveland where big name chefs like Michael Symon, Melissa d’Arabian and Buddy The Cake Boss Valastro showed off their skills. We had a really good time, tasted some amazing food and learned a couple of things:
- The best tasting spicy chicken wings are made at home even though you can get them from most pizza joints.
- We were the only people out of about 100 that own and use a deep fryer. Seriously.
Ultimate Spicy Chicken Wings Ingredients:
- 10-12 chicken wings
- 4 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1/2 cup of Bravado Spice brand Crimson hot sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)
- ¼ cup of corn starch
- 1 quart of vegetable or canola oil for frying
Chicken wings usually come from the grocery store with the ‘drummy’ and ‘flapper’ attached. Most people are starkly divided ~ Camp Drummy and Camp Flapper. Anyone who says they don’t care are just trying to be polite.
Using a sharp knife, separate the drummy from the flapper ~ or flapper from drummy~ then add them to a bowl of ice water and allow them to soak for an hour.
Drain the water and pat the wings dry using paper towels. Add cornstarch to a good size bowl and toss the wings until they’re coated.
Heat the oil in a fryer or deep pot to 350° and carefully add the wings to the oil without overcrowding, working in batches if necessary, cooking for 18-20 minutes or until the wings are cooked through and golden brown.
Remove the wings from the oil and drain on a paper towel.
Mix the melted butter and Bravado Spice Crimson Hot Sauce (or your favorite sauce) in a bowl and toss the wings in the mixture until they’re completely coated. Bravado Spice‘s is available in many stores or online. It’s hot and tangy with its own unique flavor.
I like mine dipped in creamy ranch or a bold blue cheese dressing ~ a combination that gives me that unexplainable need to keep reaching for more.
Skip the fork and knife for the Ultimate Spicy Chicken Wings ~ just dig in. Love wings like we do? You’ll want to try these Grilled Spicy Wings with a show-stopping Jack Daniels sauce.
If you tried this recipe or any other on the blog, don’t forget to leave a comment or star rating ~ I love hearing from you!
Ultimate Spicy Chicken Wings
- 10-12 chicken wings
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 ounces Bravado spice crimson hot sauce or your favorite hot sauce
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 1 quart vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Using a sharp knife, separate the wings then add them to a bowl of ice water and soak for an hour.
- Drain the water and pat the wings dry using paper towels.
- Add the wings to the cornstarch in a large bowl and toss until coated.
- Heat the oil in a fryer or deep pot to 350°.
- Carefully add the wings to the oil without overcrowding, working in batches if necessary and cook 18-20 minutes or until the wings are cooked through and golden brown.
- Remove the wings from the oil and drain on a paper towel.
- Mix the melted butter and hot sauce in a bowl and toss the wings in the mixture until completely coated.
- Serve immediately with ranch or blue cheese dressing.