Stuffed Cabbage Soup – the flavors of classic baked Stuffed Cabbage Rolls without all the work! Easy, hearty one pot meal with ground beef, cabbage, rice and herbs in a rich tomato broth.
I love Stuffed Cabbage Rolls, creamy mashed potatoes and a slice of good bread but making them takes hours! I still make a couple of pans full every winter, but when I don’t have the time, I turn to this Stuffed Cabbage Soup.
It’s on the table in about 30 minutes and is loaded with the flavors I crave in oven baked Stuffed Cabbage. This easy recipe placed in a nationwide recipe contest and gave me the boost I needed to get this blog off the ground 6 years ago.
If you’re already a fan of Stuffed Cabbage or just on the lookout for a hearty one-pot meal give this one a try.
Stuffed Cabbage Soup has tender rice, ground beef and of course bites of cabbage in a delicious rich tomato broth. It’s so simple you don’t even have to precook the rice. The result is a soup that tastes like it’s been simmering for hours.
What’s in stuffed Cabbage Soup?
- olive oil
- lean ground beef
- salt and pepper
- diced onion
- grated garlic
- chopped green cabbage
- diced green pepper
- beef stock
- worcestershire sauce
- canned diced tomatoes
- canned tomato sauce
- long grain rice (uncooked)
- minced fresh thyme
- brown sugar
- chopped fresh parsley
How to make Stuffed Cabbage Soup:
Heat the oil in a large soup pot then add the ground beef. Season with salt and pepper to taste then cook about 5 minutes over medium heat, breaking up the meat until it’s cooked through.
Add the diced onions, grated garlic, chopped cabbage and diced green pepper then season this layer with salt and pepper. Continue cooking 2-3 minutes or until the onions soften.
Fold in the beef stock, Worcestershire, diced tomatoes (and their juices), tomato sauce, (uncooked) rice and finely chopped thyme.
Cover and bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer, covered 20-25 minutes or until the rice and vegetables are tender. Stir in the parsley and brown sugar then season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
Can I freeze Stuffed Cabbage Soup?
Yes! Definitely freeze any leftover Cabbage Soup! Add to freezer-safe containers (I like individual 16-20 ounce sizes for an easy lunch) then store in the freezer up to 2 months.
If you tried this Cabbage Soup recipe or any other on the blog then I’d love to hear from you with a comment or star rating!
Stuffed Cabbage Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 4 cups green cabbage chopped
- 1 small green pepper seeded and chopped
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 30 ounces canned tomato sauce 15 ounces each
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme finely chopped, stems removed
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot then add the ground beef. Season with salt and pepper to taste then cook about 5 minutes over medium heat, breaking up the meat with a spatula until it’s cooked through.
- Add the onions, garlic, cabbage and green pepper then season with salt and pepper and continue cooking 2-3 minutes or until the onions soften.
- Fold in the beef stock, Worcestershire, diced tomatoes (including the juices), tomato sauce, rice and finely chopped thyme.
- Cover and bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer, covered 20-25 minutes or until the rice and vegetables are tender. Stir in the brown sugar and parsley, then season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.