Viral Tortilla Hack ~ the tortilla trend that exploded on TikTok! Folded tortillas packed with your favorite ingredients, warmed in a skillet until crispy outside, warm inside and every bite delicious.
I don’t follow every trend on social media but when this life hack came along on TikTok (where I’m not) and finally made it’s way to Instagram (where I am) my mind practically exploded with all the possible tortilla folding recipes.
This Viral Tortilla Hack is nothing short of genius and worth every ounce of hype it’s getting.
This is basically like a quesadilla and a sandwich wrap had a baby and it has literally taken the internet by storm. A large tortilla is sectioned into four quarters, your favorite fillings are added to each section then instead of rolling (which never ends well for me), it’s folded to form a triangular pocket.
The pocket is then transferred to a hot skillet with butter or olive oil and cooked until the outside is crisp and the inside is warm. Translation: if you used cheese – gooey, warm, melted. Do I have your attention yet?
If it still sounds confusing, stay with me. I have a bunch of photos below and a video to show you how easy it is and once you try it you’ll know how incredibly delicious they are.
What kind of tortillas should I use?
I’ve been alternating between regular large flour tortillas and a spinach-herb tortilla (also large). They’re a pretty green color, have some added health benefits and are equally delicious. There’s no wrong option.
how to make this viral tortilla hack:
Way, way easier to make than the rolled wraps that (for me) have a tendency to fall apart, this wrap couldn’t simpler to make. I had a tough time deciding which of these delicious wraps to showcase but once I added Nutella, well – the choice was clear.
Step one: making the slice
Lay the tortilla on a flat surface and make a slice with a knife or kitchen scissors from the edge to the center of the tortilla. 1/4 of the way to approximately the center.
step 2: adding filling ingredients to the tortilla
Turn the tortilla so the slice is facing toward you then add fillings to each quarter of the tortilla. The one shown is a (double) Nutella Strawberry Raspberry Tortilla Wrap:
- Large flour tortilla
- Sliced strawberries
- Raspberries cut in half
step 3: how to fold the tortilla
A picture really is worth a thousand words so below you’ll see the promised “bunch” of photos to guide you as well as a video!
First line the slice up so it’s directly in front of you. Next fold the bottom left nutella section over the raspberry section. The upper left fold is then folded over the strawberries and the last fold is over the remaining bottom right nutella section.
Give it a gentle press with your fingers to help it seal then get the skillet ready!
step 4: Cooking the wrap
You definitely wan to to cook the wrap. It takes just a few minutes and friends, this is where the magic happens.
Lightly brush the outside of the wrap with olive oil or butter then add it to the skillet cook over medium-low heat. Check after a couple of minutes and once the bottom is crispy and golden, flip it over and cook the other side.
Medium-low heat lets the inside warm (and if there’s cheese, it gets gooey-melty) while the outside crisps. When the wrap is finished cooking, remove it from the skillet, cut it in half and dig in!
buffalo chicken RECIPE:
For the Buffalo Chicken Tortilla Wrap you’ll need:
- Large flour tortilla
- Buffalo seasoned shredded chicken
- Lettuce, tomatoes + ranch dressing
- Nacho cheese sauce (jar)
- Blue cheese crumbles + shredded mozzarella
TACO BELL CRUNCHWRAP SUPREME RECIPE:
My personal favorite from the Taco Bell menu, the Crunch Wrap Supreme! Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Large flour tortilla
- Sour cream + crispy tortilla chips
- Taco seasoned ground beef
- Lettuce + tomato
- Nacho cheese + sharp cheddar cheese shredded
These flavors go perfectly on the spinach wrap:
- Large spinach-herb wrap
- Salami + ham + pepperoni
- Spinach leaves + italian salad dressing
- Tomatoes and pepper rings
- Provolone cheese slices
more folded tortilla recipe ideas:
The recipes ideas are almost endless but here are few more:
BLT Wrap – 1) crispy cooked bacon, 2) shredded lettuce, 3) sliced tomato, 4)mayonnaise.
Club Wrap – 1)Turkey, 2) bacon, 3) lettuce and tomato 4) mayonnaise.
These Fruity Nutella Wraps make the ideal dessert any night, but especially for Valentine’s Day along with Garlic Butter Scallops for the perfect date night dinner.
If you tried this Viral Tortilla Hack or any other recipe on the blog then I hope you’ll leave a comment and some stars!
Viral Tortilla Hack - TikTok Tortilla Trend
- 1 large flour tortilla or other wrap or your choice
- 2 tablespoons Nutella divided
- 1/4 cup strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup raspberries sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon butter OR olive oil
- Lay the tortilla on a flat surface and cut a line from the edge to the center of the tortilla.
- Turn the tortilla so the slice is facing toward you then add the fillings to each quartered section: strawberries, raspberries then divide the Nutella between the remaining two quarters.
- Starting at the lower left quarter, fold the tortilla across the top then fold that section to the right corner. Continue folding to the bottom corner until you end up with a triangle shape. WATCH THE VIDEO!
- Brush the tortilla wrap with melted butter or olive oil then place in a heated skillet over medium low heat. Cook 3-4 minutes or until golden and crispy then flip and repeat.
- Remove from the skillet then slice in half and serve right away.